Turtles and fish together

3 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

friend_of_fish

by friend_of_fish

I realize this can end badly...but I was wanting to read some accounts of people who have tried this, if anyone here has? Are certain fish/turtle combos more likely to work out? I'm guessing fast fish would be a must, since any slow moving fish would likely be picked off... I have heard of some people keeping goldfish and turtles together - the goldfish were originally supposed to be feeders but they never got eaten and eventually grew too big.

kate_kuhli

Re: Turtles and fish together

by kate_kuhli

I think housing fish and turtles together tends to work better when the turtles are used to fish, like if the turtles are hatchlings when you first house them with fish. If you put adult turtles that have never been with fish before, chances are the turtles will be very curious about them and the fish won't last long.

lumi

Re: Turtles and fish together

by lumi

Fly river turtles are supposed to do well with fish. They're really expensive and hard to find turtles though.

Mud and musk turtles might also be a good choice. They're more slow moving turtles and not as good of swimmers as, say, sliders or maps. So the fish might be able to out swim them. especially if they're fast moving fish and don't have flowing fins for the turtles to nip.

3 posts