New tank need some advice

26 posts • Page 3 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yudhas

Re: New tank need some advice

by yudhas

Well I ask my girlfriend to do the tests. According to her my ammonia is down to 0.25ppm, and nitrate is now around 40ppm. I told her to dose more ammonia to 4ppm just to make sure the bacterias doesn't become hungry, at least until I get back.

That means that my ammonia is going from 4 to under 1ppm in less than 48 hours. All signs are good. As for my pH it reads around 6.6 in the morning and it rises to around 7.2 by early evening, then it goes back down again. I'm not sure if that's normal or not. I'm thinking because my buffer is pretty much non-existent.

yudhas

by yudhas

I'm currently doing a fishless cycling and I'm approaching the end of my 3rd week. Ammonia has been great; now I can dose up to 4ppm and it'll be gone in less than 24 hours. I started seeing Nitrites at the start of the 2nd week. It's been gradually increasing and at one point it was off the charts, so I did a 50% pwc at the start of the third week. It reduced nitrites to about 0.50ppm, but then it started to increase again. Three days after the pwc I did another wc but this time 90%. Before I did the wc, the test for nitrites was off the chart again. One hour after I was done with the 90% wc the nitrites is still high at around 5ppm. Today the nitrites is still at the same level, it seems like it's not going down at all.

At the same time my Nitrates midway through my 2nd week and it skyrocketed until a point where a 50% pwc only brought it down to 80ppm. Finally a 90% wc brought it down to 10ppm.

It's a bit strange that the nitrites refuse to go down at all. Even after a pwc and a major wc. Any ideas why? Anyone can give any suggestion to help reduce the nitrites?

Thanks

yudhas

by yudhas

I'm just afraid that if I start stocking it and the nitrites is still >5ppm it will damage its health. I was hoping that the nitrites starts going down this week as I'm approaching the start of my 4th week of fishless cycling. But it looks like it's taking a longer time than expected.

yudhas

by yudhas

Thanks for the help guys.

One final question. Should I do a water change so I get the nitrite within reasonable range or I should just add the platies?

yudhas

by yudhas

Done. Bought four platies (1 male, 3 female). They were a bit shy in the beginning, but now they look ok. Hopefully everything stays good.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

eliminate any type of shark, you'd probably be okay

New tank need some advice

26 posts • Page 3 of 3