Cleaning Aquarium Glass with Windex? Your Thoughts...

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

amanda k

by amanda k

I have found that cleaning my fish tank glass with windex works really well. I have heard "horror" stories that the windex absorbs through the silicone and kills all the fish...... but doesn't that sound nearly impossible?? What is your opinion?

tmercier83

Re: Cleaning Aquarium Glass with Windex? Your Thoughts...

by tmercier83

I think it's likely that anyone that experienced windex issues somehow exposed it directly to the tank water, and it's highly unlikely that windex is going directly through silicone. To avoid "contamination" I usually spray the towel/rag a small distance from the tank instead of spraying the tank itself.

amanda k

by amanda k

So your saying that the people that have had bad luck cleaning their tank with windex somehow probably got the windex into the actual water?

That makes sense I guess. It seems vinegar doesnt work all that great..... LOL

Alasse

by Alasse

Vinegar and water works brilliantly, that's what I use on all of mine.

I have used Windex in the past, but find the natural way better and safer (in case of accidental spray making it to the water itself)

amanda k

by amanda k

So can vinegar be put into the water safely? like say if I'm cleaning the water line on the inside of the tank. You know where that scum builds up really bad

amanda k

by amanda k

Did someone really mention for me not to use windex on the inside of the tank LMAO

amanda k

by amanda k

Yeah it seems there are a lot of different alternatives for cleaning solutions I guess. I was always under the assumption that windex just worked the best because it is sold as a household cleaning appliance like that but .. yeah.. here is a good read for those looking to shine up their tank http://www.fishtank-cleaning.com/how-to-tutorial.html I really like to have my tank look the best and especially when I have company coming over because it seems the little kids just ADORE my fish tank.

7 posts