New tank need some advice

26 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yudhas

by yudhas

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum. I use to have a freshwater tank back when I was in school for a couple of years but then stopped for reasons I can't remember. Now I'm back trying to have a new tank. After doing some research I was going to try a saltwater tank but then after going to my local shop, in turns out here in Colombia that it is illegal to have a saltwater tank. I'm not sure why, so anyways I decided to go for freshwater.

After doing some careful research I've decided to go for a 63 gallon tank. The tank will be heavily planted. I was thinking of having the following fishes: Zebra Danios, Tiger Barbs, Tinfoil Barbs, Platys or Swordtails, and my main fish will be a Red Tail Shark. I think that's a good combination, but I'm not too sure about the RTS. Should I go for something less aggressive for the bottom level or the RTS is fine?

Thanks

yudhas

Re: New tank need some advice

by yudhas

Well to be honest I wasn't sure about the tinfoil barbs, I just thought they might look good with tiger barbs. How many fish of each type should I put? I know that school of fishes like the zebra danios need at least 6 fish to thrive. But not too sure about the rest?

Another question is it ok to put tiger barbs along with swordtails, since tiger barbs tends to nip-fin.

Finally for RTS, is it ok to mix some sort of catfish like corydoras with it? or is that a big fat NO?

Thanks

yudhas

by yudhas

After some research I think I'm gonna go for 15 Zebra Danios and 10 Tiger Barbs. As for the rts, I'm too sure. I might change that for corydoras or tetras. However, I feel like I can put a little bit more in the tank since its a 63 gallon or am I wrong about that. I'm also planning to create some currents in the tank.

Another question is on the gender of the fish, does it matter which gender I get? and what's a good mix?

Thanks

yudhas

by yudhas

What do you think about this setup?

10 Zebra Danio
10 Tiger Barb
5 Sterbai Corycat
1 Rainbow Shark

I think it's perfect for a 63 gal. It'll be heavily planted plus some currents. Can you recommend me which substrate is best for this particular tank?

And another, I'm thinking of putting some scissortail rasbora since they like to swim towards the top of the aquarium, but I don't think I have enough space for a school of them. Should I cut down on some of the other fish? or just don't put them in?

Thanks

allaster3

by allaster3

My tiger barbs, the normal ones and green ones get on great with the Red tailed black shark other the barbs shoal together and the shark just trundles round doing its own thing. The trick is to have at least 10 tiger barbs for me they just play between themselves. Ive not had a single nipped gin on the shark and the tiger barbs nip each other.

The tiger barbs always provide entertainment with their shoaling, mating calls and constant quest to be the boss. Put some boiled cucumber on the side of the glass and watch them all feeding off it.

I wouldn't not have my barbs or red tailed black shark.

Tin foil barbs get a bit too big for my liking.

Clown loaches go well with tiger barbs mine all used to shoal together and pretend to be one another.

To me... Go with what you really want, you may need a little compromise but sometimes things work sometimes they may not but with a bit of research you'll be able to get a set up that works for you and the fish.

Above all else make sure you find the time to enjoy the fruits of your labours.

Good luck

allaster3

by allaster3

Sand all the way for me that's all ill have now

yudhas

by yudhas

Do you think mixing the zebra danios with glowlight danios is fine? I want a bit of variety. Or is that not going to work?

thanks

yudhas

by yudhas

I found a used 75 gallon tank at my LFS. It's actually still being used to house a big fish and the owner is selling it to for a very good price (including the stand, sand, and filter). Is that a good idea or not? Do I still need to do an entire cycle or will there be enough bacteria in there?

andros

by andros

First, sterilized (bleached), then white vinegar for stain removal and wash thoroughly. Then stage your plan (guessed you've planned it). Planted? Only fish? or both. Cycling (bacteria) will depend also on the substrate or media you will be using. If you wish to cultivate with good bacteria, then start with the good ones. Some them can be purchase, others the freebies (inoculation from healthy set-up), while others let the nature take its toll but it will be long. Both ways, patience is a necessity in this hobby. Mine, took more than a month to complete the cycle, but during those period, planning and building the DIY light, plant and fish to keep, filter design (DIY XXXL HOB filter), researching nutrients (plant ferts) and of course the most important, budget planning has to be carried out. Just a suggestion.

yudhas

by yudhas

Do I need to sterilize it and properly clean it even if the tank is being used in a shop? I'm guessing the tank is already cycled. If I do a thorough clean wouldn't that reset the tank?

26 posts • Page 1 of 3