Need help

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

alaskaweld

Need help

by alaskaweld

A little over a year ago I bought Diana's walstad book and followed it close. Tank worked fine for a year. Didn't really grow like I expected but never had any algae problems and only had to clean the glass every couple months ....... Then I forgot to change the filter and everything went to heck.. Blue green slimy stuff is covering the plants and the gravel I have a 75 gal tank with 4t8 light bulbs. I took some pics but there to large to load so I've got to figure that out

alaskaweld

Re: Need help

by alaskaweld

Thanks panthony ,Ill try it ,but isn't it going to throw the rest of the plants and aquarium out of wack?I also run my lights 10 hours ,with a four hour break in the middle. Thanks MJ

alaskaweld

by alaskaweld

sorry i got carried away on the light times . I followed Dianna walstads book . But i lost the book so i looked at the way i had my timer set [out of the book]. which was 4 hrs. on 4 hours off [in the middle of the day so your getting some natural light which would simulate cloud cover]and 4 hours on .that would give you a twelve hour cycle like in the tropics.

alaskaweld

by alaskaweld

Thanks I'll try the continuous 10hrs.Like I said in the beginning the tank never really took off like I expected it to.maybe the lights were always wrong. Can't hurt anything ,I cleaned all the bacteria I could out on sunday and it's like I made it mad cause it's already back.

alaskaweld

by alaskaweld

Iam on it. Thanks MJ

andros

by andros

Well leaving the filter unchecked for quite some time could be a dilemma for a breeding ground of algae causes. Did encounter this situation previously.
Steps taken:
First- total black-out (no lights) for 4 consecutive days (wrapped newspaper around the tank).Results: algae diminish including the cyanobacters.
Second- Introduced the clean-up crew. (7 Flying foxes and 2 SAE's, all juvenile). Results: The crew loved the algae residues.
Third- 3% H2O2 sprayed directly to affected parts, (even used 10 ml syringe). Results: did eliminate some stubborn algae on the affected plants
Fourth- Regularly added 10 ml DIY 1.5% glutaraldehyde. Cleaned the glasses with magnets and plastic scrub pads dabbed with 1.5%GA during the water change. Result: Take much longer for the brown film to develop on glass surface.
Fifth- Remove dead and dying leaves. Better to have a stem without leaves than to have leaves that will promote algal growth (lesson from Diana W.) Result:Minimized possible hosts from unsterilized plants and as well causes of the nutrient imbalance.
Last not but not the least. Do a filter check. My average of 2 hours 55 mins. of watching the tank and 5 mins. of checking the filter completes my day. BTW, I'm only home during the weekend. Weekly water change of course is routine but 8 to 40 gallons is something that doesn't bother me. E.I. with Diana W. principles help me control some of the situations in my 90 G. Thanks to my daughter and wifey for the scheduled 1.5% GA's, feeding, traces, and NPKs addition.
Hope this help, just do research first.
General Result: NO FISH DIED DURING THESE PROCESSES, yeba!!!

Need help

6 posts