Substrate

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Substrate

by natalie265

What is the best substrate for an african cichlid tank? I'm thinking about changing to sand. I've never done sand before. What are the pros and cons? Also, dark sand or light sand? I tend to prefer fish against a dark background, but i've seen some really nice cichlid tanks with white sand as well.

wakebd1987

Re: Substrate

by wakebd1987

On my 30 Gallon African Tank, I used the CaribSea African Cichlid Mix. It is supposed to help with the PH and has a real nice look to it. I used two bags of black and one bag of white. After rinsed each individually i then put the white as my bottom layer, then added the black directly on top. After everything was flat and evenly dispersed, i then took a ruler (anything will work) and made lines through the sand, causing the white to become exposed and shine through. I am really pleased with the product and would use it again if/when i set up an additional tank.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Do you remember how much the sand cost per bag?

Alasse

by Alasse

I had pool filter sand in with my cichlids, tis not at stark white as some sands but not too dark that it hides mulm (you think its clean but it isnt)

Substrate

4 posts