Pregnant Guppy questions.

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

CrzyCrlyRed5237

by CrzyCrlyRed5237

I just started my first community tank this month. I have larger more aggressive tanks, but this in my first community tank. I bought fancy tail guppies and there are 4 very pregnant females. They have very dark black spots. I did research on the web but I still have a question. Do I need to seperate them from the other fish, a tank divider or something? The male guppies are chasing them all the time, does this cause stress to the female? I floated plants at the top of the tank, like I read about. There are also Red-nosed rummys and different types of neons in the tank. Thanks.

janus

by janus

Chasing does cause stress to the female! You should only have 1 male guppy with 3 females or just keep the males in your community tank then get a small thank (1-3 gallons) for the females. And whenever you want baby guppys just put the male you like the most ( because the babys will look more like their father) in the females tank. And don't forget the mother and other fish will eat the babys so you need to separate them or provide plenty of hidding places for them.

CrzyCrlyRed5237

by CrzyCrlyRed5237

Thank you janus. My common sense said to seperate, but I couldn't find info. You helped alot.

janus

by janus

Welcome!

4 posts