Going on vacation for 6 days, what about light?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

letha

by letha

I have a planted tank and I am going on vacation for 6 days. I have inserted the vacation food for the fish.

But do I leave the light on for 6 days for the plants?

Letha

colwyn

Re: Going on vacation for 6 days, what about light?

by colwyn

Go get a timer at the hardware store. They work great!

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree. I have all my aquarium lights on a timer. They are very affordable too. I've gotten mine as cheap as $6.

What do you mean you have inserted the vacation food?

letha

by letha

They have fish food for vactions and it was all gone when I got back last night.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

You should probably do a water change. Those things can really muck up your tank. Auto feeders work much better, but are also more expensive.

letha

by letha

Thanks, I did a total clean up yesterday. My babies still act like they are starving!!!

I guess its to late to ask how good are those week long eating wedges are.

great announcment; I have found a new baby snail, last month I had three but dont know where they are now???????

A lady here was complaining about too many baby snails, I have four snails, they are doing the mambo a lot, but one baby snail???? I'm either doing something really great or really bad,,,, only mother nature knows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks all
Letha

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

"A lady here was complaining about too many baby snails, I have four snails, they are doing the mambo a lot, but one baby snail???? I'm either doing something really great or really bad,,,, only mother nature knows !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

You probably have different types of snails. There is great variation amongst snail species. Physa fontinalis, lymnaea, ramshorn, nerite, apple, malaysian trumpet, rabbit, asian livebearing, assassin, etc. These are all snails but they are very different creatures. They breed differently and eat different things. For example physa fontinalis won't eat live plants, apple snails will, and assassin snails will actually eat other snails.

jokerwitch

by jokerwitch

Yeah I have a timer for lighting permanently set up, keeps things regular for the fish and makes it easy when I go away. I even set up an automatic feeder when I go and have a friend just come and check every few days...

8 posts