electric blue cichlid in catfish tank?

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Captainbabba

by Captainbabba

I have a 36 gallon tank with a red finned shark and a bunch of catfish, mostly cory cats. My mother got a electric blue cichlid, she thought it was really pretty. I don't have a lot of cichlid experience but I didn't think it was a good fit in this tank. The cichlid seems to be nipping at the cory cats after a couple days a pretty lot and I'm pretty sure I should bring him back to the store. What do you guys think?

Okiimiru

Re: electric blue cichlid in catfish tank?

by Okiimiru

If you're witnessing aggression when you're looking at the tank, just imagine how much aggression is going on cumulatively during all the hours of the day when you're not looking at the tank. Either decide that you don't care if the cories get bullied to death, or separate the fish.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Cories are the cutest little fish! Save them!!!

Captainbabba

by Captainbabba

Thanks. I have no idea why I even posted this, should have known better. I caught him today(which wasn't easy quick little guy) and brought him back. None of my cories died thankfully and hopefully everything goes back to normal.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Do you mean an electric blue african cichlid (Sciaenochromis fryeri), or elecric blue jack dempsey? Because if its a dempsey, it will quickly outgrow that tank regardless of its situation.

Captainbabba

by Captainbabba

Electric blue african cichlid. Either way the tank wasn't a good fit, tank size or tank mates wise and its not in the tank anymore.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Yay!

Captainbabba

by Captainbabba

Well I spoke too soon yesterday, I woke up today to find one of my panda cories dead. I'm pretty sad about it cause I should have know better than to put that cichlid in there. My other cories are fine but my panda cories still look really stressed.

8 posts