Planted aquariums?

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

momof4b

Planted aquariums?

by momof4b

Does everyone on this site use real plants in their aquariums? When I had fish tanks before I had never used real plants and they seemed to live just fine.. I never checked the water or anything for my angel fish and he lived for years!!! If I do indeed have a fish tank that needs real plants, can I use like a moss ball or something or do I have to have the plant?? If you need more information about my tank and the problems.. see my other post! Thanks!!

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I do not use real plants in my tank cause I can't keep the fish (cichlids) from digging them up. But I do have them in a refugium. But this is the first time I have ever used real plants. Are you using your tap water? Do you have city or well water? Do you use ro/Di water? Is your levels going down when you change the water? Have you tested the water you have been using before pouring it into your tank?

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

You can use a moss, anything plant wise that's real will help. Some plants are better then others so see Natalie post on your other post.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Live plants are not a necessity, although i prefer them for reasons both asthetic and practical. Okimirru recommended live plants in the other post because you are cycling a tank with live fish. If you don't understand the terminology "cycling" a tank, i would suggest you look it up. There are a couple of articles on this web site that explain it (under the "articles" tab), or some of the users here do a good job of explaining it if you ask. Live plants can be helpful in your current situation. They will help by breaking down some of the harmful chemicals in your tank. If you don't want to use live plants, you can remove those same harmful chemicals through frequent water changes.

momof4b

by momof4b

I know what cycling means, I done the research and tried to wait until it was cycled before transferring the fish, however, my black fin tetra was dying... I wanted to try to save him.. he was a fighter! SO, I moved them 2 weeks into the cycling! All the fish lived... but I'm having a hard time getting the levels to "level" off.. I have done a 20-40 % water changed every week... I condition the new tap water before I add it to the tank! I was alternating, a gallon of tap and then a gallon of distilled then a gallon of tap and so forth, that seemed to help better than just using strict tap!! So what exactly SHOULD i be doing? Is water changes once a week not a good idea? I will go test the water right now to give you exacts on what my strip says... but I know that all but one nitrate is at the highest level on the strip!

momof4b

by momof4b

I have city water and no the levels are not going down when I do the water changes, the clarity of the water increases, but the levels do not move! I have not tested the water before I add it, I will next time or I can right now if you guys would like to know the results to help me further!!! I appreciate all of your responses and I am so sorry I am so "uneducated" when it comes to my fish tanks!!!

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

You always want to test the water your going to put in your tank if your levels are high there its not going to help you and your still going to have problems plant won't help in this case. You need to use ro water then, your grocery store distilled water or water from your pet store or buy a ro/Di to hook to your tap water.

Alasse

by Alasse

Full RO/distilled water is no good for a planted tank. Not good at all. If you go that route you will need to add things to the water that the plants need and i dont mean just add fertalizers. There are minerals and such in tap/well water that plants require. Even rainwater sometimes requires additives (depending on source)
RO/distilled is better suited to saltwater tanks

momof4b

by momof4b

Okay, well, tonight I checked again, all the levels are still sky high! I added 3 cap fulls of Prime to the water.. have not tested them again yet to see if its made any change... trying to give it time to work... SO... my question now is... after i do the next water change, should I used distilled water??? I have no idea what ro water is.. ??

mcfaddy212000

by mcfaddy212000

I use a mix of water that I make up in a 40 gallon trash can but that's because I have well water and my ph is real high.

Planted aquariums?

16 posts • Page 1 of 2