trouble with riccia moss

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

hardluckchris

trouble with riccia moss

by hardluckchris

hi, i bought some riccia moss about a month ago i straped in to some rocks with hairnets and left it for 2-3 weeks and it doesnt seem to be growing? i got fed up with the rocks and decided id make a bit of a carpet so i cut a shape out of plastic coverd it in the riccia and secured it tightly with another hairnet, its been sitting at the bottom of my tank for about a week and nothing seems to be happening?
does anyone have any ideas why its not growing? i was led to belive it grew quite fast but apparently not in my tank,
ive got diy co2 ive added fertiliser and ive even added a second light but nothing seems to be helping i see pics of other riccia with lovely pearl bubbles and im getting jealous any ideas?

hardluckchris

by hardluckchris

i just read a post about lighting and now im wondering if its because my tank is so deep, i had it custom made and its pretty big its two and a half feet deep, do you think maybe my light isnt hitting the bottom enough?
any help from someone that knows more than me would be greatly appreciated
chris.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Water depth can have a big effect on how much light your plants are actually getting. That could be the problem. I haven't tried riccia myself, but i've heard it does require strong lighting. Have you tried growing any other types of plants?

hardluckchris

by hardluckchris

yeah ive tried a few, ive come down to the conclusion that my lights arnt strong enough im only running about .7wpg in a 50gl tank i should have at least 100w? now my problem is finding strong enough lights that will fit above my tank! heres the tank:
3e0b2-8-1-2012.jpg
Last edited by hardluckchris on Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Pretty tank. If you can get up to 2wpg that would open up a lot more options

trouble with riccia moss

5 posts