Can goldfish have tank mates?

18 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

MegRuth

by MegRuth

I have one ryukin goldfish and one dojo loach. Can I add a small school of freshwater to this tank?
My goldfish never nips at my dojo loach.

colwyn

by colwyn

How big is the tank? How long have you had it? What are you ammonia, nitirtes, nitrates? Any plants? How big are the fish?

MegRuth

by MegRuth

The fish are small. I haven't check the levels in a week but they were perfect for a goldfish tank. I have had it for four weeks. It is 29 gallons.

colwyn

by colwyn

Thats a short time for a cycle, I got mine and not knowing put fish in a day later, they all died. Did you resuse gravel/filter cartadges? You could probally put in a few snail, they are fun to watch. Or maybe ghost shrimp.

MegRuth

by MegRuth

I know. What about barbs or minnows or maybe even danios? Could three of any of those be happy in my freshwater goldfish tank?

MegRuth

by MegRuth

I have a snail already by the way.

colwyn

by colwyn

Goldfish are nasty creatures. I had one in my tank and it made the tank unsuitable for other fish. If I were you, dump the goldfish and put tetras, barbs, danios, guppys, things like that.

colwyn

by colwyn

Remember the rule 1 inch of fish for every 1 gallon.

MegRuth

by MegRuth

I would never get rid of my goldfish, he's my baby. But thank you for the advice.

colwyn

by colwyn

Leave him then, maybe if you get some live plants and good hidding spots. And keep up on water changes.

18 posts • Page 1 of 2