Moving to a bigger tank 30gal--125gal

8 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

drunkenbeast

by drunkenbeast

Hi,
new to the forum sorry if this is talked about a lot i didnt see it as a topic.

I bought a 125 gallon tank yesterday and after i build a stand and get it all together im looking to transfer fish in about 2 weeks.

My plan right now is to change from gravel to sand too, i am worried about cycling the tank and losing my fish.
The basic plan is to change my filters today or tomorrow and save the old ones so i have the extra bacteria and place them in the water of the new tank. I am going to run the tank for a day or two before putting the fish in them but, without fish its hard to grow the bacteria. I also plan on putting about 5-10 gallons of dirty water from the 30 gallon into the tank.

Is all of this a good idea is there something i am missing or something i should not be doing?

i really cant lose these africans and worried about the transfer please help!

milky648

by milky648

Hi
Wen i set up my 125 gallon it took more then 2 weeks for me i did put dirty water from my other tank, and i put fedder fish in and check ur ammonya and nitite once that goes down also check the ph, regular water changes to.

milky648

by milky648

Go read my story that says a sad story about falls info and l k of knowlegee thers some info on cyeling a tank.@

milky648

by milky648

Hi
Wen i set up my 125 gallon it took more then 2 weeks for me i did put dirty water from my other tank, and i put fedder fish in and check ur ammonya and nitite once that goes down also check the ph, regular water changes to.

drunkenbeast

by drunkenbeast

any other suggestions?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Congrats on the new (huge!) tank! Wait until you are ready to move the fish, then move the fish AND filter over at the same time. Your current filter has enough bacteria to handle your current load of fish, so cycling isn't really an issue. Just be sure to add new fish gradually.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Adding water from your old tank wont make a difference. If you were doing it for the bacteria, it wont help because they live in the filter media or substrate, if you were doing it so the fish have old water to stay comfortable in, 30 gallons into a 125 wont make a difference either.

findingjohn

by findingjohn

Good luck with the new bigger aquarium. I would not use sand. Most filters do not work well with this stuff.

8 posts