applying a Fungus Medication with ammonia levels

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Jim2011

by Jim2011

Hi,
Read all please.
30 gal freshwater tank=currently because some died i have 3 tiger barbs, 2 chinese algae eaters left.
so..first question:
Can ammonia neutralizer be used in conjunction with medication?
I am guessing my good bacteria is dying off(had to remove filter cartridge).
Ammonia levels and nitrite levels starting to show up and increasing.
Feeding is non existent because my 2 tiger barbs mouths are stuck open still from the fungus and wont close therefore they cant eat. only one barb has recovered so far.
Added more meds because their mouths are stuck open still, this is not getting better but all other parts of the fish are excellent.
2nd question:
Will their mouths shut eventually?
Thank you

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

fish are probably gasping for air...first cut out the ammonia additive (never remove the filter(s) for this is where the good bacteria will live that will live off of the ammonia)

do not vacuum the gravel

do water changes, about 50% twice a week to deplete the ammonia and nitrite in the tank

cut back on the feeding regardless if the fish can eat

buy some live plants

do not add any medication

lower the temperature to around 74-76 (to help provide more oxygen inthe water column)

let us know how it goes

Jim2011

by Jim2011

Hi
unfortunately I have moved past this situation. I have 2 tiger barbs left of which one is fine and another's mouth got a little better but cannot swallow food and has a hard time swimming to the top of the water and does a lot of side to side shaking his body which it seems that he cant swim efficiently enough to do what he wants. HE has minor eye cloud now. My ammonia and nitrite is zero since the medication episode was about a week ago, so the bacterial system recovered. I did several big water changes without vacumming which was pretty easy to figure out to dilute all the chemicals. I will seriously think about adding plants to provide more oxygen, thanks btw.

Is there anything specifically that I can do for his mouth?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well beings I am dead set against any type of additives which includes medication, you may just need to wait and see, and hopefully the fish will recover on its own

but if you truly want to medicate, here is a good link with several remedies for assorted disorders:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/fresh/i ... seases.htm

let us know how it goes

4 posts