Is this a bacterial bloom?

13 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I have had my tank set up for about six months now so it is not an old tank, but it is also past cycling and new tank issues, however there are these white specs throughout the water and i was wondering if it is a bacterial bloom. It is not a major issue because i can still clearly see through the whole tank, but it is more of an annoyance. Any ideas would be much appreciated.
8990b-DSCN2850.JPG
7889b-DSCN2859.JPG

Alasse

by Alasse

Bacterial blooms tend to make the water look cloudy :) You cant actually pick out any specs as such

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

possibly microorganisms, do they wiggle in the water column?

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I can not really tell if they are wiggling or if they are just getting pushed around because i have so much water flow.

boylestd

by boylestd

What type of filter are you running? My tank is experiancing the same thing but mine looks cloudy/white when I try to look through end to end. I just recently purchased a canister filter to see if the will solve the problem. The filter I have now also has a sludge built up on it. I completley broke it down and did a tedious clean of it but the sludge built back up soon after. Does your filter suffer from the same effect? Maybe we have the same problem? lol.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I have two aquaclear 110's filled with just biological media, as well as a fluval fx5, i only recently got the fluval, so haven't cleaned it yet, however there was always brown sludge in the aquaclears when they were running, so maybe we do have the same problem.

boylestd

by boylestd

So I got my new canister filter in today. Hooked it up so ill let you know if my tank clears up. You said you were just running a biological filter? Maybe try running a more mechanical type media as well? I also bought something called sludge destroyer, supposed to help break that stuff down in ciclid tanks. It is an API product, so im sure it will be worth a try. If any of this works or I find another solution ill be sure to post it here.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

I am running only biological in the aquaclear 110's in the fx5 it is all three stages, and it seems to be helping.

boylestd

by boylestd

Checked my tank after a few days, it looks amazing. Dont know if it was the filter or what but I guess the combination of thing worked. If you still have that sludge then I would definately get the sludge destroyer. I post before and after pics later today. Feel like I upgraded my tank from 720i to 1080i. lol

oscarrob08

by oscarrob08

do u still have this issue

13 posts • Page 1 of 2