Blue- "yellow lab" identification

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

DanDman18

by DanDman18

My female yellow lab had babies a few months ago and at that time I saw that one fish in her mouth was completly hatched, so i figured the rest were ready, and i stripped them, however that was the only fish, the rest were still completly eggs. That first one i took is blue while the rest are yellow. I know there are blue versions of the Labidochromis caeruleus species, but to have only one blue baby out of twelve and from a yellow male and female? That or is it possible the female picked up an egg from another fish and that's why its blue and hatched so early? I included pictures, but also what has me questioning it is that it he sometimes has horizontal lines going through his body, and i was thinking a small Pseudotropheus Socolofi but i may be wrong. Its only about .75 inches long. any ideas
2f8a3-VSCN0003.jpg
3f850-VSCN2877.jpg

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

Its possable that she picked up another egg I have a sunbirst peacock that hached some rusty zebras with her eggs on the last bach of fry do u have any fish that look like the blue one iv never seen a blue lab but not saying it cant happen.????

esparzar1

by esparzar1

There are indeed blue labs but it doesn't look like that is one. It's really hard to tell based on the pic. Hopefully, when it gets a bit bigger you will have a better ID on it. It has a peacock look to it and it might not even be a mbuna. But, really tough to tell from the pic. I've attached a pic of what some young blue labs looks like. Do you have other blue labs in your tank? She might have picked up other eggs...hmmmmm
062f1-P1248825ax.jpg

DanDman18

by DanDman18

Now its about 2.5" and pretty obvious to tell its a Pseudotropheus socolofi, so i guess she just picked up someone elses egg, i just haven't updated becuase i thought this thread was dead, but thanks anyway.

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

That cool at least u figured out what it turnd out to be good luck and keep us posted on your tank a lot of smart people up here

Ezeanes

by Ezeanes

That cool at least u figured out what it turnd out to be good luck and keep us posted on your tank a lot of smart people up here

6 posts