New 55 Gallon Tank. Question about fish combos and plants.

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lotus

by lotus

First off hi, I am new to fish but have been doing my homework. As a kid my grandpa was a fish fanatic. Hundreds of tanks and even more and bigger fish in various tanks/ponds in the backyard.

I just bought for our family a 55 gallon tank and we want a mixture of fish that get along and real plants.
I plan on doing a sand bottom and will have a vegetation area on the left, driftwood center piece that has hiding spots and holes in it (read how to make sure it is safe), and some river rock/slate hiding spots on the right. The wood/rock will be against the back to give plenty of swimming room.

Ok...onto my questions.
How does this mix of fish look compatibility wise and count wise for a 55 gallon tank. Also by breed should i have more or less of any one of them?
1 bristlenose pleco
2 Apisto
2 german ram
2 bolivian ram
8 flame tetra
10 neon tetra
2 red rainbow

And when the water is ready what order/length of time should i introduce the fish in?

And, what plants would you recommend? I was reading java fern would be nice for the drift wood. But I would like to make the left side sorta thick in vegetation for hiding and for looks.

Thanks for any advice you might have! I know there is a lot here I just want to make sure i have things covered to avoid a disaster.

lotus

by lotus

Still reading reading reading...my list of fish i think i would like is

2 yellow Apisto
2 German Ram
2 Bolivian Ram
8 Flame Tetra or other 2" tetra
10 Neon Tetra or other small tetra
2 rainbow cichlid which would be my only non dwarf
1 bristlenose pleco

how does that lineup sound?

I saw another guy mention this would be a good lineup for a 55 gallon planted tank.
6 severums
2 laetacara
1 Sturisoma barbatum
6 corydoras
6 med sized tetra
sounds like it a lot of large fish for a not so big tank.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

first off, before you get thrilled by all the different shapes, sizes and colors and behaviors of fish and live plants, you must cycle the tank with only about 2-4 fish. You need hardy fish that can stand the brutal chemicals that will first appear in the tank (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate). So before you get any of the fish above, you'll need about 2-4 zebra danios, silver tip tetras or cherry barbs. You must pick only one specie and keep the group between 2-4. No more.

You will need liquid test kits for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate (also you should have a temperature strip and ph liquid test kit).

Also you will need at least 550 gallons per hour (gph) filtration system, so you should have two Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 model filters, which will give you a good 700 gph (the more filtration the better).

On the live plants, you should lay under the gravel a nice 1/2 inch layer of first laterite red clay. Java fern will work if you purchase bogwood or malaysian wood (attach it to the wood with brown thread or a rubber band). Anubias (assorted types) are your best bet while starting out as a fish hobbyist. Grows slow but need very little light and can withstand most chemical problems.

You will need a heater and some aeration in the tank with of course lighting (lighting depends on what type of live plants you have). Sand truly depends on the type of fish you have. Optimally loaches love sand. Maybe you stick to gravel like a river pebble (your choice on the bedding).

Once you have all this, you must cycle the tank.

So once you get all of the above, let me/us know and then we talk about cycling the tank.

ONLY AFTER cycling the tank will we discuss all the fish on the list...sounds good?

Let us know how it goes.

lotus

by lotus

sounds good. I have the filter, heater, temp strip, pH kit. I will get the other test kits next time I am at the store. The driftwood i have is Malaysian. The lighting is LED which i believe is full spectrum and should be good for the plants.
I have no intention of getting the fish I want until everything is right.
Thanks for the information! I will be following it and will let you know when i am up and running with the four hardy fish.

thanks again.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Lots of live plants will help eat up the nitrates while you are cycling your tank. I'd recommend cryptocoryn wendtii. Anubias is good too, but like java fern, it grows best on bog wood (yasher, do you agree? I've never tried to grow it in gravel). Do some research on the pleco. Many of them will eat your live plants. Not sure about the bristle nose. Don't get the rams or neon tetras until your tank is WELL established---ie, not just cycled, but cycled and then some. Have fun with your new tank and welcome to the forum!

lotus

by lotus

Well it is half a year later and the 55 gallon tank is stable. Thanks again for the advice in here. It helped a lot.
As of now the tank is sitting right around 7.5 PH and it never moves it seems. I check the water weekly and do around 20% water change every week. I have two HOB bio wheel filters that are running sponges/refillable cartridges (cheaper than buying the store bought ones).

Current fish are 5 Tiger Barbs, 1 elec yellow cichlid, 1 elec blue cichlid, 1 red jewel, 1 assorted cichlid, and 1 yellow tail acei, and 3 clown loach.
I know that that cichlids and loach are on different ends of the PH scale but right around 7.5/7.6 is on the high end for loach and low end for the cichlids. My PH is stable which I hear is a must for pulling off this mix. The fish seem happy/healthy but I am keeping an eye on it and will seperate them if I have to.

I just picked up a 135 gallon tank where all of these fish will be going soon. Then once that move is done the kids gold fish are going in the 55 gallon.

I am working on a design for a moving bed filter for the 135 gallon tank. I have attached the design that I came up with. Hopefully it will work.

I also have another 135 gallon tank that I got for next to nothing that eventually I want to get up and running and that is where the loach will end up if any problems arise with the cichlid and loach sharing a tank.

well thanks again for the reply and sorry it took so long to reply.
64794-filter6-22-2011.JPG
51ae4-tank.jpg

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

natalie, yes I have grown anubias successfully on wood and planted directly into the gravel - one must part the roots very carefully, go about 3 inches deep into the gravel...I've had them grow in the last 3 years so well that the plants are taking over, via runners under the gravel, the entire left side of the tank

lotus sounds really good...experience now on will serve you very well...keep us up to date on the progress

7 posts