Goldfish with Dropsy...

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

falconite

Goldfish with Dropsy...

by falconite

I have this redcap oranda goldfish n he seems to suffer frm one prblm or the other all the tym....his belly appears a bit swollen now....actually it had appeared swollen over the last couple of days but 2day the scales appear to be protruding as well.....i read a bit on the net n it seems to be dropsy.....now he is eating quite well n is behaving normally....anothr point is tht theres a dark spot on one side of his belly, which appears to be a gash....

If it is indeed dropsy how do i treat it??? i had changed around 70% of the water last week only n the water is okk.....

his head has also swelled at a couple of places....is tht a cause for concern as well????

falconite

by falconite

and i have administered terramycin to the water of the tank 2day.......

tekneb

by tekneb

It is unlikely that tetramycin will have any effect. The problem with dropsy is that by the time you realize your fish has it, its usually to late to do anything about it. Keep monitoring his progress, but if it is dropsy your fish is probably not going to make it.

falconite

by falconite

What are the other symptoms of dropsy??? The fish is behaving quite normally..... moreover there must be something I can do or at least try to do....I cant just let him die.....

tekneb

by tekneb

You listed the visible symptons, swollen belly and scales protruding to resemble a pine cone. The fish can sometimes act listless or lose its appetite and dropsy does sometimes occur co-morbidly (at the same time as) other more visible infections but not always.The problem with dropsy is that its an internal bacterial infection, which eventually causes enough havoc inside the fishes body to create the swelling you see externally, so a ton of damage is already done to the fish by the time symptoms show. The only thing I have ever heard that worked on a case of dropsy was medicated food, and that was a story that was passed down the grapevine, not someone I knew personally.

falconite

by falconite

Okk.....n wht sort of medicine???

tekneb

by tekneb

Its medicated fish food. I only know of this one brand:
http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... 9&bih=456#
but I'm sure there are others.

Goldfish with Dropsy...

7 posts