salt content

5 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

boylestd

salt content

by boylestd

i never put salt in my tank before, but my LFS said its good for my ciclids. He also said that once its added that it wouldnt be needed again. My fish are looking more energetic and healty since i added the salt. My question is about water changes. Does the salt content remain when I do water changes? If not then how much should I reapply?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

aquarium salt does not ever leave the tank unless you do water changes - the more water changes it will deplete the salt content

salt is excellent for a fish's metabolism and helps prevent disease

I used to apply 5 tablespoons per week for the 55 gallon tank - this is a good constant dose

I no longer do this for I have eliminated all chemicals of any kind

Alasse

by Alasse

Salt is not needed for the majority of fish. It can be detrimental to some that are sensitive to it, so honestly i see no need to add it.

If you insist on continuing to use it. Take note of the amount of water you take out and redose new replacement water with salt to desired levels.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Most cichlids prefer hard water. If your water is hard, there is no need to add salt. If your water is soft and acidic, then adding salt somehow affects that in a way that is supposedly beneficial. That's all hearsay and obviously i don't know what i'm talking about. I've never added salt in any of my tanks.

Alasse

by Alasse

I have soft water and african cichlids, i do not add salt. Yet they are healthy, breeding etc

salt content

5 posts