Kind of Gross.

17 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

gumbii

by gumbii

i've never seen one in la that has dogs and a nice variety of healthy fish... and i go to alot of petshops all over LA...

another thing i noticed that if it's ran by asians... they usually have the best quality, and variety of fish... the worst petshop owners are mexicans... they can't take care of squat...

and i'm not racist... 'cuz i'm mexican...

white people have the best reptile shops around... with the exception of strictly fish in long beach... that place is FTW!!!!...

Deuce15663241

by Deuce15663241

The shop in my town is ran by white trash so the reptiles are actually taken pretty good care of. The shop has known for not taking very good care of their animals but they have had a big turn around. Atleast in the fish and reptiles department.

darkruby

by darkruby

Just To add something though... Arnt mom and pop shops really expensive with some of there mechendise. Like fish, I have seen fish at petsmart at least 10.00 cheaper then at this other one I know. Is it different in your areas?

Deuce15663241

by Deuce15663241

Specialty stores will ALWAYS (for the most part) be more expensive then chains. Mainly just because chains have more connections on where they get their supplies. They get it cheaper so they can afford to sell it cheaper.

gumbii

by gumbii

truth... but also the quality of aquatic life at small shops are second to none compaired to petsmart/petco...

the fish that the large petstores get are from huge HUGE fish farms like in florida and such... they don't care about quality... that's where i mostly see mutts, or mixed breed of mbuna alot... when a labidochromis cereleus has faint black stripes that means he's not of pure yellow lab family... usually because they breed cichlids as "assorted" cichlids... and that's what you get when they have an assorted cichlid tanks... stay away from they...

another thing i noticed about my LFS are more baller is because they have to make the rent along with other expenses... so i don't mind paying $40+ for a mdoka peacock when i could get a similar looking peacock at petco for 7 bucks...

i like to buy all of my filters and equipment at petsmart... plus... they honor online prices... so they will gladly sell you a penguin 350 for 26.99 instead of the the shelf price of 38 bucks... just take them a print out...

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

everyone one with a decent LFS be thankful....as I'm seeing they can be hard to find....I even bitched my local LFS out - - -told them I couldn't beieve the low quality they were trying to keep the fish in and that some species just wern't meant to be kept in a main stream selling environment and should only be ordered by expierienced aquarist - - for about 2 months I noticed they were cleaning theor tanks up and carrying hardy fish...I was almost ready to start thinking about buying from them again - - then yesterday I go in and see 8 of their 12 tanks have dead fish in them and 4 of the tanks {just sand sand substrate and minmal filtration, no powerheads} have Manderin gobys in them {cheap too} I couldn't believe it.....Manderins are extremely hard to take care of, they had one tank with 4-5 different anemones and 5 different species of clowns in there - -it was like a friggin puppy mill...I walked out and drove 45 miles to get a canister of chemi-pure - - i'm so pissed - - but what can we do.. I've never heard of a case of animal cruelty in referance to fish before...... and don't get me started on little brat, disrespectful out of control kids that are running around like rabid dogs banging on the tanks while their fta nasty crack head parents laugh.......{but i'm not bitter, LMAO} ....just frustrated.......lol i wanted to ask one of the little bastards if he wanted to pet the anemone ...... but thought better of it.......Snowboss

gumbii

by gumbii

wow... if it's that bad snowboss... tell your LFS to sell you some fish direct from the supplier... my LFS does this thing for me, like, if i want 50+ demasoni... but... as soon as they get there in the bag i have to take them home... he also gives them to me super cheap... like 2 bucks a piece... they're normaly 12 bucks or so...

Kind of Gross.

17 posts • Page 2 of 2