Please Need Help!!

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dinneenremy

Please Need Help!!

by dinneenremy

I am new, I started this hobby for almost a year now and I still have so many questions!
I have 2 fish tank a 29 gallon and 10 gallon, and now I am planning to get a 55 gallon. I really wanted to have a live plant on a fish tank and this my problem I dont have any experience of it! I need someone to geve some advice on how to set up and what would I need. I'm so thankful I found this site Please help!! thank you.

I do change water every week!
d44be-P1060779.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Easy to grow plants include: java fern, java moss, anubias (all three grow attached to driftwood) and crypts (my favorite). These plants don't need a ton of light, special substrate or CO2. I do think they benefit from at least a weekly dose of fertilizers, but that's about it. Live plants are awesome!

dinneenremy

by dinneenremy

what kind of fertilizer you use?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

A macrofertilizer (potasium phosphate and potassium nitrate), and a microfertilizer (trace elements--for example "Flourish") and nitrogen. If you can't get them at your local fish store, there are several sites that sell online.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

let the fish provide the fertilizer via poop (poop is the best fertilizer in the world - and it's free, provided by mother nature herself)

anubias, in various types, is an excellent plant to start with - low light, hardy and a slow grower, it will grow over time as the tank matures

dinneenremy

by dinneenremy

thank you guys for the advice now, I had my 55 gallon fish tank planted with 2 gourami and 2 angel fish. my problem now is the water,it change color and turn to yellowish or brownish its hard to tell,I was thinking maybe its come from the wood? I just change the water this morning, is this safe for the fish?

Alasse

by Alasse

Tannin from the wood is comepletely harmless :)

dinneenremy

by dinneenremy

do I have to change the water everyday so it wont look dirty or cloudy? how do you make it clear ?

Alasse

by Alasse

You can do more water changes if you wish to keep the colour down, carbon will also help remove tannins. The wood will stop leaching eventually, cant say how long exactly though, cause each bit of wood is different :)

Please Need Help!!

9 posts