Bubbles everywhere!

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

clydenkinko

Bubbles everywhere!

by clydenkinko

I have a penguin 200 bio wheel filter and I know this may seem naiive but why are there so many thousands of tiny bubbles coming out? they eventually float to the top and pop but I think they are the reasons our tank looks somewhat cloudy. Our readings are normal and everything, but I think these little bubbles have something to do with it looking cloudy. Is this normal??

Mike0372983

Re: Bubbles everywhere!

by Mike0372983

Actually I am preety sure I have the exact same filter as you, and yes it does happen in my tank too. But they are not that noticable to me. I dont think it has anything to do with the cloudiness. The cloudiness could be because of maybe you dont change your water once a week. If you don't just change about 1/3 of the water and replace it with new water.

Hope I helped, Michael!

clydenkinko

Re: Bubbles everywhere!

by clydenkinko

actually. we've been doing constant water changes [25%, every day] to try to bring down the hi nitrite levels. it wasnt working. so we moved everyone to a temporary tank, changed about 95% of the water, and did a thorough gravel vacuuming. let the water run through for a day. we put our oscar back in because he wasnt doing so well in the temporary home. we are planning on putting all of our catfish back in pretty soon, and then our tinfoils. but the bubbles have gone down actually.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I have the exact same filters (2 of them), and the bubbles actually create surface tension which puts oxygen into the water column

the bubbles you are seeing in the water column may be because where the water comes out of the filter, at the plastic lip, the lip is not even with the water surface, instead the water is falling onto the water in the tank that causes more agitation which is causing all the fine bubles

if the plastic lip is smooth to the water surface or is below the water surface (as I have mine), you will see less bubbling or none at all.

there will still be water agitation at the water surface which creates the oxygen in the water column, so I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

but like you said kinko, the bubbles have gone down, so possibly with the water change, the water level was brought to the plastic lip of the filter outlet or the plastic lip is below the water surface

I like looking at the oldest threads and responding (((smiles)))

Bubbles everywhere!

4 posts