All my fish are dying. PLEASE HELP

34 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

liam1995

by liam1995

the disease came with two sepae tetras about 3 weeks ago. i treated the tank with methylene blue after four fish died in a day. i stopped that treatment and went to melafix. fish are still dying. I have had a black knife ghost fish die and numerous amounts of tetras and rainbow sharks and guppies. The fish dont display any signs of being sick and then suddenly die.

PLEASE HELP ME!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

raise the temperature slowly to 86 degrees F...leave the tank like this for 2 weeks...drop the water line about 2-3 inches, place air stones with an air pump near the top of the water surface to create agitation (warmer temp tends to deplete the water of oxygen...agitation will create the much needed oxygen)

the above will help slow down any parasite in the tank

water change more frequently, about 30-50% per week...cut back on the feeding

if it is ich, you can place about 1 tablespoon of aquarium salt per 5 gallons directly in the tank (the water changes will help not to concentrate the salt too much in the tank)...the ich will slow down and/or kill off any ich in the tank

in 2 weeks, slowly lower the temp back to the normal tank temp

let us know how it goes...any questions, do not hesitate to ask

Alasse

by Alasse

The fish have no small white dots on them? Or white fluffy bits? Your saying they appear healthy then suddenly die....have a close look, no red thing hanging from their anuses? Doesnt sound like ich to me...

We need more info to be able to assist you

What are your tank parameters, please get it tested and let us know the results
What size tank?
What fish are in the tank?
What filtration etc?
Have you changed anything with the tank since the fish started getting sick?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

(((again))), I said, "if it is ich" add salt

but at the very least raise the temperature...raising the temp to 86 F is the best way to slow down any bacteria, parasite and/or pathogen that may be infecting the fish in the tank...this should be a standard practice in every tank that has problems

the tank I have, I keep it at a steady 24/7 82 F temp...I have never had a problem with the tank ever since I have done this

now of course, if fish are introduced into the tank with disease, then of course, a problem will arise, but if the temp is at least 82 F, any problem (I do not care what it is) will be slowed down to the point that it may actually kill off whatever it may be

now I do agree with Alasse that we need more info to pinpoint the exact disease and all the parameters of the tank (water tests, tank size, how many fish and what type, filtration, water changing, any overfeeding, fights amongst the fish that cause abrasions that if the fish's immune system is weak may cause disease)...all this type of info will help to provide a diagnosis as well as preventive care

feel free to provide asap the info

liam1995

by liam1995

Thanks for the info. None of the fish have been fighting and they never have white fluffy bits or red bits coming from their anus. It is a 70 litre tank. The PH is pretty good but always becomes acidic. I have a corner box without any carbon in it. the fish currently in the tank are a guppie, neon tetras, serpae tetras, head and tailight tetras, sword tails,white skirt tetras, lemin tetras, bettas, corydoras, a mollie and a platy. I do a 25% water change each week and i feed the fish every second day. none of the fish fight. there are 22 fish in the tank at the moment. what is Parameters? I do a PH test once a week and I usually add the stuff to make it less acidic. I cant really tell if the melafix is working because fish continue to die. Thanks for all this info guys, please continue to help me as i am learning lots. i have only been inot aquariums for about a year and this is the second time i have had major fish deaths.
Last edited by liam1995 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alasse

by Alasse

I'm thinking you could be overstocked, can you give exact fish numbers, how many of each type i mean, this could definately not be helping matters

What is the tanks footprint (eg: 2ft x ? x ?)

Parameters are PH, NitrIte & NitrAte to name the main ones, please give an actual figure on all 3 not just a 'they're ok'

I can tell you another thing i see....Stop adding the PH changer immediately. Swinging PH will kill fish, your fish will adjust to the PH you have.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Test for ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. The ammonia should be 0 parts per million, the nitrite should be 0 parts per million, and the nitrate should be less than 30 parts per million.

liam1995

by liam1995

The tank is 2 feet X 1 foot X 1 foot 6 inches. I have two bettas (male and female), two corydoras, one guppie, 5 baby guppies, two swordtails, two white skirt tetras, two head and tailight tetras, one platy, one molly, 3 neon tetras,, one lemon tetra and two serpae tetras. The fish that have died are one black ghost knife fish, one molly, two rainbow sharks, two zebra danioes, one rummynose, three red eye tetras, 4 guppies, 2 sepae tetras, 4 neons. I dont have a kit to test for nitrate and nitrites but i will get one asap. Do i even need to add the stuff to make it less acidic? I have raised the temperature to 82F and will slowly raise it to 86F. Should I get a different filter? My heater is pretty small (25 watts i think) and i will be getting a new and bigger one. Is that enough info? I am still adding 7.5 mls of the melafix each day. Is this what I should be doing?
Last edited by liam1995 on Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

liam1995

by liam1995

oops, its 25 watts i think

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree with Alasse. Quit adding the ph stuff. An unstable ph is hard on fish. When you say it becomes acidic, what do you mean?--Can you give us the ph? Personally, i wouldn't raise the temp until we rule out ammonia and nitrate. How long has the tank been up and running and can you describe your filter? You are definitely over stocked...or at least you were until your fish started dying.

34 posts • Page 1 of 4