Rainbow Shark mimmicks Cichids

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

So I have a rainbow shark that has doubled in size. He lives with 21 other cichlids never being picked on or nipped at chased nothing. One day gazing at the community I noticed Rex the rainbow doing the cichlid "smack", I call it, over and over again. On a shell, a rock, the sand, hilarious. I've now seen him do it 2 other days. I thought maybe he had something bothering his skin but waters good and no lesions or ick nothing. He has mastered the dominance characteristics of my cichlids. I was wondering if anyone has experienced that before. Haven't googled that yet I'm sure someone has somewhere.
28e5c-Video 121 0 00 00-53.jpg
b24e8-Video 99 0 00 18-24.jpg

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

cichlid smack !
I only can think off if your rs has ick even though you say you have checked for it if he or she is rubbing on hard objects

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Rubbing is usually an indication of uncomfortableness. It could be a number of diseases. Without a microscope, it's hard to say exactly what pathogen is bothering your fish until it advances to the next symptom.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Measure your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate. Ammonia should be 0 parts per million, nitrite should be zero parts per million, and nitrate should be less than 30 parts per million.

snostorm

by snostorm

Um, Okiimiru, if dream2reef says the water is okay, I'm inclined to believe it they're an experienced fish keeper...

Anyhow, it could be possible they have picked up dominance tactics! Smart fishy.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

a fish that constantly brushes itself up against objects in the tank has some form of parasite that is irritating the fish...it's a first sign of trouble

if I were you I'd observe this fish constantly

unless this fish has OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder) (((smiles)))

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Lmao. Please tell me there's another cichlid owner around to back me up. Snostorm thanks for that cuz you're right. I have well nevermind what I have. Yasher I always appreciate your input but my tank is setup in front of my couch. Not my tv. I don't have cable and never will. Why pay for commercials? Really that's what the giant dish was in the beginning of cable jus sayin(zero commercials). So having that said I watch my fish not my tv. It's a 6' tank it's the only logical place. A trade on a 9" Piranha and 30 gal setup. I got the 8" JD for free and now have 20 something fish mostly cichlids. It is a dominance thing. I only know this from watching my fish closely. I can tell you when any one of those fish has something wrong with it. I can tell you who likes who who hates who. I knew when the 2 I lost were going to die. One from stress and one from not looking over the fish properly before I bagged it. I catch and bag my own fish jus sayin. I do thank you for your concern though. Try not to take me the wrong way. Just informing you.
a7db9-Video 20 0 03 23-50.jpg

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Next thing you'll tell me is that the ciclid shake is from a demon infestation and to call the exorcist. My lab does it the fastest I've seen yet. I wish I could get that on film. Maybe setup a camera on it for a few hours.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

this is good to hear that you observe your fish...and no offense ever taken

generally speaking, a fish that rubs up against objects have something irritating them, but I have also found in this hobby that what appears normal in some tanks may not be true for all

I am quite certain, every tank is a case by case basis...there are a few fundamental requirements: water changes, do not overfeed, periodically chemical test the water and observe...outside of these requirements, everything else is a case by case basis

I'm glad you know your fish better than I do...as I know mine better than everyone else...as all could and will say the same thing

it's cool pal

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Well I guess you wouldn't be afraid to measure your ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate and report how many parts per million each were at, then.

11 posts • Page 1 of 2