Goldfish Changing Color

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

natalie265
Site Admin

Goldfish Changing Color

by natalie265

I went on vacation for a week over the thanksgiving holiday and when i came back, my dark coppery colored fantail was unrecognizable! He is turning a pale orange color with some dark patches still left on his face and back. I've done some research online and it seems that this is fairly common, but it was quite surprising to me. I know there are some goldie people on this forum. Has anyone had a similar experience?

dream2reef

by dream2reef

I've had a black fancy tailed goldie for 8 months and have not had that experience. He's almost died 3 times from neglect :( but I've not seen anything like that. I hope you figure it out. You know me I just throw some stresscoat in there and forget about it. It saved him all three times. maybe?

snostorm

by snostorm

I've had this experience but it was the other way round. I saved one of my Shubunkins from a green tanks, she was almost white, after a few weeks she was orange , white with black patches! It could be neglect or the food, did you put in a feeder block or someone fed them while you where away?

Alasse

by Alasse

Goldfish often change colours, nothing wrong with them, just something some of them do it.

I've had quite a few do it.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Ha ha, trust me, it wasn't neglect. These are three very spoiled goldfish. Alasse, i'm curious how quickly yours have changed colors. It was quite a shock to come back after being gone only one week and to find a completely different looking fish in my tank! He loses a bit of color ever day!

Alasse

by Alasse

1 goldie changed in around a week, the others took a few weeks.

Thats interesting Heidi, though hmmmm, no PH changes here, good quality food, no signs of internal worms, yet mine did it.

I've found darker fish do it generally, though there are some lighter fish that change.

Goldfish Changing Color

6 posts