Got Newt?

6 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mzhantsche

Got Newt?

by mzhantsche

Just picked up two fire belly newts. They look rad. Did the research and have a good set up for them. Not sure if i have a strong enough filter. Water is cloudy today. Ill give it a few days.

Anyone have any advice?

lilcrum98

by lilcrum98

did u put water conditioner in it?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

sometimes if the water is cloudy it means there is too much nutrients in the water column because the bio-load in the filters/gravel bed etc is unable to keep up with demand of ammonia from the fish poop

you do only have a 20 gallon, right? adding a couple more fish to an already small aquarium can also cause the cloudiness of water

but I'll tell you something, even though a tank water column may appear as clear as possible, does not mean it is 100% okay...ich is a perfect example, the water can be as clear as your eye can see, yet have a swarm of ich all inside the tank

though the tank I have is about 98% clear, if after a filter cleaning, the tank water may get cloudy, but between the fish eating the debris and the filter cleaning up the tank, the tank water is clear again

so tell me, you do have a 20 gallon tank, correct? and also, can you list the fish plus the amount of each one? Thanks

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Sorry for the delayed reply yasher...i have my newts in a 10 gal. not as ideal as i would want but all the research Ive done says a properly set up 10 gal. is fine for two newts. I also added two small coy catfish for tank maintenance. My research on these type of coy catfish says max size is only 2 inches. so i think i should be in the clear.

Water cleared up nice. But newts are very lethargic. They eat no problem but hide in the rocks Ive provided constantly. But over all i don't see any huge signs of problems.
PH is around 7.6.

tekneb

by tekneb

Do you mean cory catfishes? cuz those guys do stay really small and are awesome.

mzhantsche

by mzhantsche

Yes cory catfish. Tanks for the correct. Ive also herd that newts can be poisonous. I dont know how that will affect the cory catfish.

Got Newt?

6 posts