Sick Redcap Goldfish

48 posts • Page 2 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

falconite

by falconite

Ya i know....how many shud i have???i am looking forwards to building a bigger tank btw....
the spot i noticed just today....dont remeber it being there evn yestrday.....its very faint though n wont b visible in photos....

falconite

by falconite

Its the same redcap who is acting strange....

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

are the scales on the fish rough looking...healthy scales show almost a slimy like coat, but if it is what I think it is (ich), then not only are there white spots that are fuzzy on the fish but the scales too tend to look very rough almost dry like....if so, then it is ich

I know goldfish must be in a very cold tank (65 degrees or so), so raising the tank to 89 for 10 days is strictly out of the question (this is the best remedy if one goes the all natural route)...but in this case, with goldfish - I would just continue to observe, if the white spot spreads all over the fish's head and then onto the scales, it means the entire tank is infested (ich has a cycle, it needs a host (or a fish) to survive, if it can't find a host within 48 hours, it will die...the reason the white spots show as they do because the ich gets up under the scale, feeds on the fish then slowly turns into a cyst which then bursts which in turn look like white spots on the fish (it is a burst cyst)

keep us attune every other day or so on this fish...le me/us know what that white spot does....because it could be just that the fish hit itself against something (and in this scenerio, thank goodness...nicks can heal easily, whereas ich is very stressful, painful for a fish that 9 out of 10 times leads to a death)

just keep us posted

falconite

by falconite

Well the spot is the same size...btw u say that goldfish like cold water (n i hav also read this fact on the net)....but a couple of my goldfishes had died last winter...its only coz we strted heating the water (which the aquarium gut advised to do) that the rest of thm survived...it might b just a coincidence but m not sure....

Oh and thnxxxx so so so much both of you for helping me out....m sure that my fish would also thank u if he came to knw about this....:)

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Well, how cold did it get? Fancy goldfish prefer coldwater, true, but there are limits.

Interesting info about the peas btw.

falconite

by falconite

It was around 13 degree Centigrade (that would be 55 degrees Fahrenheit)....is it too cold for the fish????

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

should be about 65 (the lowest) to about 75 (the highest)...68 is best

falconite

by falconite

My redcap's condition is worsening...i woke up this morning n saw his tail split in the middle...not entirely but quite a bit....moreovr theres this patch on his head which looks a bit redder than the rest (as if he as bumped his head into sumthing)...n finally theres a little flaky thing hanging out from the top of his right,where u hav these small little protrusion (dont knw wht they r called).....shud i administer another tablet of terramycin????

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

just like to let youknow, if you are unaware of it, if you have any charcoal in your filter and you add any medicine into the main tank, once the medicine is cycled once through the filtration system, the medicine's potency is completely useless

on the tail...do you have other fish in the tank that may be nipping at this already ill fish?

again, like I said earlier, if the fish is listless or does not move or worse yet, does not take any food, then it would be best if you just put the little guy down (place some clove oil in a dish with water, euthanize the fish)

falconite

by falconite

Theres no charcoal....positive....
the other fish r all goldfish....n they arent aggresive at all....
n i dnt thnk my redcap is dying as yet (judging by the symptoms u mentioned)....but may b if sumthng isnt done now he may die....thats wht is bothering me so much....

Sick Redcap Goldfish

48 posts • Page 2 of 5