Sick Redcap Goldfish

48 posts • Page 1 of 5

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

falconite

Sick Redcap Goldfish

by falconite

My redcap goldfish has been behaving quite strangely for the last couple of weeks....he wanders off to a side of the tank and leans on the wall and stays there for a considerable period of time....we gave him 2 tablets of terramycin-250 (on consecutive sundays) and also fed him pees...his condition had improved a bit....but today again I find him doing the same...what may be the cause???can sumone prescribe any medicine or otherwise????

We have a filter and a pump in the tank...all other fish are doing ok....

falconite

by falconite

Actually I dont have that many fishes now...the tank contains only goldfish now(the profyl needs a bit of updating)...n I have been feeding him peas (pronounced erstwhile as "pees"...my mistake) twice a week for the last couple of weeks,in case he is suffering from swim bladder....So r u suggesting that I keep on feeding him peas and feed him more often???

falconite

by falconite

He seems to better on the days I feed him peas....they all seem so happy when they get peas for supper...sumtyms I feel he is just faking his illness, so that he may get peas....:D

falconite

by falconite

Okkk...will do that n let 2 knw...thnx for the advice...:)

falconite

by falconite

Btw any particular reason he gets constipated quickly???

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if the fish is still or listless, not swimming about, you have a dying fish (we went through this with tekneb a few days ago on a dying fish)....fish need to move about constantly unless they are "sleeping" at night...when a fish remains still in one part of the tank, especially at the bottom, it means there is a serious problem

it is good to see you are giving the fish peas - actually you should give peas to all your fish, at least 2-3 times a week (I do), it helps to clean out their digestive system

Heidi is right about the dry flakes causing constipation; another reason could be that the fish accidentally swallowed a small piece of gravel or what have you and it is lodged in the intestine...fish with swim bladder condition will often not be able to remain upright, instead fall to its side or even float upside down

the best suggestion I can give you is, continue keeping it in the main tank - it's like a human's preference to die in his own bed - and give it foods it likes, and possibly it may survive......but like I said, if the fish is listless or barely moves, it is dying (sorry for the guy)...it's like dogs and cats or any animal, when they are sick or dying they will keep to themselves or even hide under a couch or if it lives in the wild, it will literally go off farther into the woods to die, to be left alone - a fish is pretty much trapped in our tanks, but you will find, if the tank has plenty live plants it will hide under a leaf and die

sorry pal for your fish's ill health...but you know, in this hobby, there are so many variables, that we really shouldn't be so surprised when we lose our little guys, you know?

falconite

by falconite

@Heidi...I feed the goldfish dry food...
@yasherkoach.....he swims about normally when he is not leaning on the wall...he is quite active when its feeding tym...actualy it is feeding tym right now...i checked on him a few minutes ago n he is literally jumping all around the place...:)...but he seems so sad and sick when he leans on the tank...thats what i cant figure out....hye is prfctly normal otherwise....

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

if the fish races up to get the food, then fish is probably okay...sick fish will not even eat let alone move about

it may be a favorite spot for the fish...some fish like to rest against objects, it's just their style...so you may just have a stylish fish (((smiles)))

I have a red platy, a genetic defect, the fish was born and reached adult size at only about one and a half inches long, very long and narrow, never grew anymore...it likes to lie flat on its bottom across the gravel or a piece of slate, sometimes for hours, never moving, then whoosh, it goes back swimming - this fish also has its own style, so to speak

so just continue to observe; if your fish takes food, it's okay; if your fish moves about it's okay; if your fish at times leans up against the wall of the tank and just stays there, it may just have a favorite spot...so it's just a process of elimination in figuring what is truly wrong with the fish

let us know how it goes

falconite

by falconite

@Heidi...its around 20 gallons....I have 4 orange goldfish (all 4 r kids)...a black,an orange,a redcap n a shubunkin....in hindsight,mayb I did overfeed him at tyms..
@yasherkoach...he does race up when food s served....I must say he is a bit stylish compared to the rest of them....the way he turns around and moves his eyeball...pure panache....:D

falconite

by falconite

Hey i just noticed a small faint white spot on its head...anythng to worry about???

Sick Redcap Goldfish

48 posts • Page 1 of 5