Thought's on Bio-Filtration ?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

Hey guys just wanted some input on my bio-filtration method i'm starting. I have two Marineland H.O.T. Magnum 250 Canister filters, and i'm now starting full bio-filtration. I have Rena Ceramic cylinders in one filter, and API Chem-Stars in the other canister. I'm using the Marineland foam sleeves to act as a pre filter to catch the large waste. How does this setup sound for a planted tank filter system ? I''m filtering 500 G.P.H. in a 38 gallon tank.

dream2reef

by dream2reef

in a tank that small with plants you really only need to turnover 2 or 3 times. But "they" say you can never have too much. But I believe your filter will deplete your plants? I'm sure someone can correct me. I'm pretty new to plants myself.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

how will it deplete my plants with bio don't you want as much benificial bacteria as possible ?

dream2reef

by dream2reef

Some circle of life thing I don't know.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Well, I am not understanding what you speak of DTR.
But, I don't think you can ever have to much filtration in your water.
You CANNOT have any carbon in your filtration system.
That, I think, is what depletes the plants? Is that what you are saying?

nicholas542

by nicholas542

not running any carbon. stricktly bio

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I agree with stingray, the carbon, if part of the filter system, may deplete nutrients in the water column. BUt the system nicholas has set up is perfectly fine. And 500 gph is excellent. Kudos.

Live plants will feed off the fish poop. Also off the light (natural or flourescent). And believe it or not, even off the leftover foodstuffs if you do not vacuum. IT will literally compound under the gravel to the point that there is a nice bed of "mud" that the roots can live off of. Reason I never vacuum (I haven't vacuumed for over 2 years, no problem). Plus if you have snails, the snails will feed off the "mud" deep in the gravel.

Anyway, nicholas, your tank set up has come a long way, you are doing a fine job. Kudos.

nicholas542

by nicholas542

I eleminated carbon all together. I did pick up some SeaChem Trace elements that looks like good stuff. I am also looking in to their iron supplement have any info on that ? I don't vaccum into my gravel bed eaither it'll make nice compost for the plants. thanks for all the support, and info guys

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I used to use SeaChem Flourish Iron when I first got into the hobby. Now I prefer just using fish poop. BUt if you really want the iron supplement, SeaChem is the best.

advertisement on Dr Fosters & Smith: Give your plant growth an extra boost! Seachem Flourish Iron is a water conditioner that stimulates plant growth in your aquarium. Recommended for use with Flourish, Flourish Tabs, and Flourite. Free of phosphates and nitrates. Iron is an important nutrient in the planted aquarium. Flourish Iron should be used in planted aquariums where aquatic plants demonstrate signs of iron deficiency (such as short and slender stems or yellowing between veins).

Recommended Dosage: Use 1 capful (5 ml) for each 200 L (50 gallons) or as required to maintain about 0.10 mg/L iron. For smaller doses, please note that each cap thread is approximately 1 ml. Use Seachem's MultiTest: IronTM test kit to monitor iron concentrations. Use as needed to combat signs of iron deficiency (usually seen in new growth), which include: chlorosis (yellowing) of tissue between veins and short and slender stems.

1.0% Soluble Iron (Fe)...derived from: Ferrous Gluconate

hope info helps

nicholas542

by nicholas542

thanks for the info i think i might try it for a while see if it's worth the money.

10 posts