One large aquarium plant.

30 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Bigdog

by Bigdog

This is a plant that I just took out of my 75 gallon planted aquarium last night. It was taking over the whole aquarium. It been in my aquarium for only 6 months and it got this big. It was only 3" tall when it when in the aquarium. Let me know what you all think of this bad boy.

Thanks BigDog

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad17 ... 1862-1.jpg

http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/ad17 ... 1863-1.jpg

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

That is what happens when you use CO2.
I would replace that with something else as you have just fucked with the ecosystem in your tank
by pulling that big boy out.
Your light will be projected differently, your ferts will have to be adjusted, you'll have extra nutrients floating around, and if you are not careful...... you will soon be growing some ALGAE to replace that plant.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

when I pulled my 18" amazon sword out of my 16"tall tank, it blew up with cyanobacteria. Hasn't been the same since.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well well well, long time no see there Tmercier83

yeah I agree, by pulling that bad boy out, you have screwed up your ecosystem big time...you should have just pruned the darn thing, clipped off some of the leaves

I'd tell you to replant the roots (excellent roots by the way - wish I had that enormous thing in my 55 gallon, I'd know exactly how to tame it (((no offense pal))) - but I am unsure if you even replant it if you can get it to live as well as it did because the plant in the picture is a very healthy one

nice plant pic - what to do now with your tank, who knows, let us know how your tank settles in over the next 30 days and we'll sort it all out with the members including myself (((of course - smiles))) and you pal

still, that is one awesome nice plant - by the way, what'cha gonna do with it, hope you replant it somewhere - it would be a real pity if you just happen to have gotten rid of it

let us know how it goes

Alasse

by Alasse

Gorgeous plant.

I've pulled large swords out of my tanks (due to being too big) and moved them to larger tanks with no ill effects. I often start out plants in smaller tanks and when they outgrow i move them out into a more appropriate tank.

Pulling it causes no more problems than giving it a haircut will do. I'm sure the OP can cope if he can successfully grow what appears to me a very healthy plant.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Alassee, there is a difference between your tanks and his.
He is using CO2. You are not.
He has a high light tank, and you do not.
I am sure he is using micro and macro, you are not.
All that makes a difference when you are running high light and CO2.
When you have a low light tank,and you are not injecting CO2, and using
the fish poop for ferts, the ecosystem runs much differently.
You can rip out a big plant and not replace it, and you will not have the problems he will have.

Bigdog

by Bigdog

I have pulled several large plants out of my aquarium several time before. Just never this big. I do 50% water changes every week on the same day each week. So far I been lucky to have my plants grow faster than I can cut them each week. I some times have to cut my plants back up to 3 times a week. That is how fast they grow. I was giving so many cuttings to the fish store that they could not sell them fast enough. Now I have several fish stores that take my plants from me. I do not like to throw away good healthly live plants in the trash. Just not right.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

bigdog, nice you care about your plants like you do your fish (same here)...but possibly if you cut back on the CO2 and the lighting, you won't have to constantly uproot plants - but then again, if you like to uproot plants and cause fish undue stress, then by all means, do so

see, the way I figure it is, why cause the fish undue stress, instead, have a constant/consistent ecosystem at all times - as I said above, cut back on C02/lighting, and if your fish could tell you, they'd say thanks for stopping cause the rearranging of my home is a constant nightmare

but hey, to each their own - I am only speaking in terms of an all natural optimal freshwater ecosystem - some prefer not to go this route

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Yeah, I agree.
I have enough work to do besides cut my plants down every other day.
But, some people sell their plants and make $$ and get a credit line going, so I suppose
it is like a second job.
If you are in the tank every other day, why would you let a plant get so out of control that you would have to
rip it out by the root system, from your tank?
Anyhow, I had CO2 going for a whille, and I said F that trying to cut down plants 2x a week. A nice constant is good for me and my tank.

Alasse

by Alasse

Depends if Bigdog has a planted tank with fish or a Fishtank with plants...there is a difference

I have both.

I also have a high light tank that will very shortly have to go to CO2 for algae control. And if a plant outgrows its spot, then i will do the same, pull it and replace with the correct size, if its a plants that is readily prunable then that is the action i would take, depends on the look i'm after, its no different to terrestrial gardening.

Fish get used to you being in the tank. Take my angels for example, no sooner have i done a rearrange or plant maintenance, they spawn! To me this certainly doesnt indicate stress.

Fish are far more adaptive than many give them credit for. Specially captive bred fish.

But to each his/her own

Some cant be bothered with the plant maintenance that is required when you have a higher light tank, but you can grow plants that just wont grow at lower light levels, or wont grow well.

30 posts • Page 1 of 3