oscar question

32 posts • Page 1 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

knd01

oscar question

by knd01

Hi my common oscar is about 1 1/2 inch in a 10 gallon tank and all he does is just sit between where the power filter water output and the glass. He looks sick just allowing his boddy to kind of float on his side. I am feeding him 2 twice a day and that is the only time he moves around. It doesnt look like a fungus because there are no white areas on his body. I have no idea what is wrong please help.

darkruby

by darkruby

Hmmm, This is something I have not really seen but a couple times but If you put him inside the tank not to long ago then he might be in shock from the new water and invironment. OR the water has to many chemicals inside it.
Thats all I really know that could cause this, sorry.

knd01

by knd01

I have just noticed on the tips of his tail and dorsal din there seems to be a little bit of white skin. He also lets his tail hang out frum underneath the filter wer the water out put is(he puts his tail in the filter output current). I also did a substrate change from gravel to sand and everything is clear now but he was acting like this before i did a substrate change.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

not that a pleco is anything like an oscar, but my pleco acted the same way when he was sick, then he snapped out of it eventually when I cleaned up my water.... he would hang out on my powerhead and let his tail sit in the water flow. What do your water parameters look like? when did u water change last and how much?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Do you use water conditioner? This is a must do when ever you add tap water to your tank. You may want to take a water sample to your local aquarium store and have it tested. They usually do it for free. Maybe your cycle collapsed and ammonia and/or nitrites are high.

knd01

by knd01

Yes i did a water change with the substrate change. I did use water conditioner and i am not shure about he water leaves but i know my conditioner only takes chlorate and chlorite out of the water. i dd about a 50% water change.

spongebob4460

by spongebob4460

Anything to remove chlorine and chloramine? is this a new tank or did your oscar only start acting this way recently?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'm thinking with Spongebob here. Chlorate? Chlorite? Are you sure? These are not the things that are supposed to be removed. It's the chlorine and chloramines that will kill your cycle and fish that is added to tap water and needs to be removed. We're talking about aquarium water conditioner, not conditioner for household water softening or something.

knd01

by knd01

no i ment chlorine and chloramine and the tank has been up for about 7 months.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

If fishy still seems sick I guess you can rule out water toxin problems by taking a sample to be checked for ammonia and nitrate to an aquarium store. Do you have enough water movement? I'm trying to think of every thing, and there should be adequate water movement on the surface to oxygenate the water. Where did you get the sand from? maybe there's something toxic in the sand. Good luck. From what I've heard Oscars are pretty tough fish. Hopefully it makes it through the night.

oscar question

32 posts • Page 1 of 4