Aggressive Glowlight Tetra?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

carbondog

by carbondog

Glowlights are supposed to be very peaceful fish, but I have one large female that is continually harassing the others. Whenever they swim out she chases them back into the corners. The tank is well planted, with lots of hiding spots, and they are the only fish in the tank (seven of them, four females and three males). Anyone else ever have problems with peaceful fish turning aggressive?

Stats:
10 gallons (40 liters)
Temp: 76-80°F
Ph: 7.0
NH3: 0
NO-2: 0
NO-3: 20ppm

I jokingly think it's because the males only spawn with the other females and not her; which is what happens. lol

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one large glowlight fish...adult size is only 2 inches

on that note, are all the other fish about a half inch long (juveniles)

unless it is just her personality....fish do have personalities, believe it or not, so her personality may be just a bit on the bully side...the main thing is, as long as she does not attempt to hurt, tear fins, pick fights that lead to holes of any kind in the scales...but a chasing around the tank, into corners, or bully behavior, probably just the personality of this one fish

carbondog

by carbondog

When I said large I meant larger than the others, sorry. They are all adults (males about 1.5" and females a bit larger) except two who are juveniles (about .5"). I am aware that they have personalities, but she has never acted this way before, and she's been in the tank about two years; so I just thought it was strange. But if it's normal behavior for fish to change like that, then I guess nothin' I can do about it. Oh well.
Just sucks only being able to view one of them except at feeding time, ya know?

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I understand, but as long as the fish is not nipping or bullying the other fish that it causes the other fish physical harm, then I guess you just have one weird fish (((smiles)))

4 posts