Hi every one new to this forum

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TANT3

by TANT3

planet hexy tank (Tropical) size is 68L Hi new here my tank is a blue witch i think is 18 gallons it has a 3 stage filter my lamp is 20 watt and heater is 100w .

my fish, i have a ephantnose, 2 angle fish ,neon's 20 , 2 sliver shark, 2 red tail shark ,

nice to meet you all this is my first tropical tank so im still learning ..... I'm not good at taken pic`s to
97700-Picture 200.jpg
19e4c-Picture 207.jpg
1d997-Picture 205.jpg
18ab1-Picture 242.jpg
183fc-Picture 246.jpg

TANT3

by TANT3

hi just did first water change hope i don't loses any I'm new to this so I'm still learning one of the plants i brought had algae on it it started to grow every where so that's why my Aquarium store told me to do 1/2 water change and put algae block in and put 2 little suckers in the one`s that meant to eat it, finding it hard to keep the pH right but i guess i will get there been testing once a week so that's what they told me to do is that right had my tank for 3weeks now all going good so far.
7e38e-Picture 255.jpg
30644-Picture 254.jpg

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

hi welcome nice lil tank there mate im new myself look at my tank any comments welcome
a377d-014.JPG

Kingys_dog

by Kingys_dog

lol crap pic will try upload more detailed one

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

That is a beautiful tank, and you've done a great job with it, but it is ultimately going to be too small for many of the fish you have chosen to put in it. 68 liters isn't even 20 gallons (someone please double check my calculation). The elephant nose and redtailed shark could each reach the adult size of six inches. The bala sharks could reach a foot each! The shape of the tank is good for angel fish, but i wouldn't even put angels in a tank that size. Like i said, it's a beautiful tank, and i hope you don't get discouraged, but I think you're going to have to rethink your stocking.

TANT3

by TANT3

yes i know that the red taild shark will get bigger and the angle fish and the sliver shark i throught that i would start with this size and then if i dont kill them and get alot better at it i will upgrade to a bigger tank so once thay start to grow .

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Hi, IMO, your algae problem is due to a high nutrient level.
You have a high nutrient level because you have too many fish in that tank.
Even regular water changes will not help you.
20 neons would be sufficient. The angel fish, the elephant nose, the redtail, and the bala are already too big for that tank.
IMO, if you want to keep all those fish, then you need to upgrade your tank now. Not, when they get bigger.
They are already too big. I know for a fact that the elephant nose is a medium/to difficult fish to keep and will
not last long when you have a problem with water parameters, which you do.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

And by bigger tank, we mean BIG. If you want to keep those bala sharks, you're looking at purchasing a six foot tank. Although the others would probably do fine in a standard 55 gallon.

I've heard the same thing about elephant nose being a difficult species. Not a good beginner fish, but that's not your fault. Pet stores are worthless at helping get beginners off to a good start.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

125 gallon tank should be the minimum starter tank for the type of fish you have

the problem with tanks that are tall (pet stores are notorious in just selling stuff that do not work because they just are after the sale)

area is key to a tank, that is, longer and wider rather than taller and thinner. A fish needs less height and more width. Tall tanks may look really nice, but for the fish, it's a hazard (why they make these, is beyond me). Plus the weight of the water bearing down on a fish is much more heavier in taller tanks. Believe it or not, it is actually harder for some fish to breathe because of the weight of the water in very tall tanks unless the fish are bottom dweller even these prefer not too tall tanks.

so you should purchase a 125 gallon tank, long and wide. 1,250 gallons per hour filter system, a 125 gallon heater wattage and whatever lighting you choose (dependent on if you have live plants or not).

My question is, I am unsure if I read it right or not, is your tank still cycling (That is, new or only a couple weeks old); for if it is, with all those fish, you may find yourself in serious serious trouble with that tall tank. So if you go right now, like stingray said, get a good 125 gallon, if problems do arise during cycling, you will have more room to work things out.

one other thing, do you have water liquid tests, if so, what are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate?

let us know as soon as you can in order so we can help you from losing your fish

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

one other thing, that elephant nose, like stingray says, will reach up to 9 inches long; most stores sellt his fish at 4 inches long...18 gallons (is 68 L) is really only 9 gallons because of the height

I assume the neons are tetras, and even though you have a school of tetras, and the silver shark is of a peaceful nature...though the elephant nose can be peaceful once it feels safe in its environment, those neons and silver shark may become a late night treat especially the neons

I do not find fault with you at all, but the pet store should be ashamed of themselves. Too bad there is not a thing about cruelty to animals in regards to fish like with dogs and cats, because if there was, many pet stores including petco and petsmart would have to hire people who know what they are saying or be found at fault, fined and/or be not in business. (((just a thought)))

anyway, let us know as soon as possible what you plan to do and if you need any more helpful advice - we're here for you anytime

14 posts • Page 1 of 2