New guy here!

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

JasonJ514

New guy here!

by JasonJ514

hey guys and gals, I've been lurking around here for quite a few months now and all of your information is very helpful! Just wanted to say hello as I am starting to post on here! Going to take new pics soon by the way.. the one I have was taken with my phone and does not show water clarity detail or good color of my fish!

Jason

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

tips and advice would be appreciated!
7969e-tank2.jpg

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'm partial to live plants, but as far as plastics go, yours is one of the better tanks i've seen. It looks very natural. I'd switch out the blue back ground for black (just a a personal preference), and maybe sneak in a few hardy live plants :) Welcome to the forum.

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

I actually just switched it to black last night! good call :)

going to do some re-arranging next.. try to open up the middle a little bit more!

cmarti

by cmarti

Pretty slick, I like it.. I didn't think anyone had as many fake plants in their tank as I did, but you've got me beat... :)

JasonJ514

by JasonJ514

I have somewhat of an obsession with the fake plants!
I just hate the look of an empty aquarium! I think full of plants is more life like! it's makes the fish happy because they have places to hide, eat alone, etc...

Thanks!

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

Is that a piece of real driftwood on the left side?
I would break the plants up a bit more....... open up the middle.
The plants in the front, I would not line up horizontially, maybe bunch them up a bit.
I would be careful with so many plants cause you need to have good circulation in the tank.
The problem with fake plants is that you kinda have to pull them out to siphon the gravel, a real pia.
I am also partial to real plants. A lot less maintenance cause the fish waste can be used as fertilizer for them and you don't have to concentrate so much on vacuming the gravel.
Not to say that you don't ever have to but at least the poop has a purpose, with fake plants.. not so much.
I like it tho. Good job. It is peaceful looking.
PS - Get yourself a real anubias plant. You will be hooked.

findingjohn

by findingjohn

Get real live plants. You will be so happy you did. Keep up the good work.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

only advice I have for the 29 gallon tank...there is never enough filtration. The basic amount of gallons per hour (gph) for any tank is always 10 times the amount the filter itself states. So for a 29 gallon tank, you need 290 gph flowing either from one filter or two. You have I believe I read from your profile, a 70 and a 50...my advice is, get one filter that puts out 300 gph, a Marineland Penguin Bio-Wheel 350 will cost about $35.00 online, your best bet.

Outside of this, for now, welcome abroad

New guy here!

9 posts