New here, had a few questions?

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

lcj2010

by lcj2010

Hey everyone, im new to the site and have enjoyed reading through the forums. Aquariums have been a hobby for me for a long time. Right now i only have a 29 gallon up, just don't have enough money to put my 20 gallon and 10 gallon together. I have a few questions and i hope u guys can help. Does anyone here actually build there own tanks and if so is it easy and that much cheaper then buying one? I use sand, can someone give me a few real plants that grow in sand? Last one like i said above i have a 29 gallon tank with only one fish in it, the reason for this is that it has eaten everything i have put in there. The problem i am having is i have know clue what kind of fish it is. Iv talked to the people at the store i bought it and they told me it was a wood catfish aka killer catfish but i cant find it anywhere online. im going to post a pic of it can someone tell me what is is? Its a really cool fish, it goes stripes to spots its awesome.
d026c-fish.jpg

findingjohn

by findingjohn

The fish looks like some sort of cat fish. For building your own aquarium should not be that hard. It all depends on the size of aquarium you want to build. I would just spend the money and buy a new one.

lcj2010

by lcj2010

I figured just buy one, mine would have leaks everywhere or i would forget to put one of the side up. i just want to find a cheap 55-100 gallon tank. I know its a catfish i just cant figure what kind, i really want to find some info on it. iv had it for 3 years and still have know clue, all i know is its name is Brutus Maximas. Thanks for the help.
d026c-fish.jpg

tekneb

by tekneb

Lcj, this might be a silly question, but have you checked craigslist for any used tanks? There are usually tons of good deals on big tanks on there, unless you live in the middle of no where.

lcj2010

by lcj2010

I didn't actually think of craigslist, iv been on eBay and aquabid but craigslist totally slipped my mind. thanks.
d026c-fish.jpg

tekneb

by tekneb

No prob. Btw your fish is really bugging me, lol. It reminds me of the wolf fish I had many a year ago, but I cant find any pics on google other then the atrociously ugly ones that live in the wild. If I find anything I'll be sure to let you know.

lcj2010

by lcj2010

Lol, thank you. U think its bugging u iv had it for 3 years and still have know clue what it is. All i know it eats and eats and eats.
d026c-fish.jpg

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

all plants will grow in sand.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Interesting fish. You might try posting his pic on this forum that specializes in catfish:
http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/forum/14-catfish/
As for the plants. It wouldn't surprise me if he gobbled those up too. Start with something cheap and hardy like anacharis and see what happens.

lcj2010

by lcj2010

Thanks Heidi, i wish i had a real camera not my cell phone so i can take a better picture. He looks really cool when he changes to spots. Stingrays and Natalie thanks for the plant advice, and Nat thanks for the catfish site, i really want to figure what this fish is.

15 posts • Page 1 of 2