Replacing filter media.

9 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Reavicus

Replacing filter media.

by Reavicus

I run a 72 gal freshwater planted tank.
Cascade 1200 canister filter, two powerheads with sponge filters on them.
When I change water, I rinse the powerhead sponges out, and change them pretty much by eye, when they look really discolored after a rinse, I replace. Should I be replacing them at a specific interval?

On the canister filter, I do the same with the white sponge part. It contains 6 white sponges, that I rinse and change them by eye. It has a another black coarse sponge underneath the white, and I rinse that out at a opposite interval to the white sponges.
Underneath the black sponge is the bag of charcoal. I change the charcoal basically as a guess, I really do not know when to change that. On the very bottom is the ceramic, which I never change. And I never rinse off the ceramic. I will drain the water completely out of the bottom twice a year.

Suggestions? Thanks for the help.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Well, you can ask PK any specific plant questions, as he has some of the nicest planted tanks I have seen. In regards to filter media, I squeeze them out in the tank water...don't rinse them in the sink, as that will kill your bacteria housed there. I also alternate these rinsings so as not to destroy the colony. Charcoal is more of a preference, it loses it's "activation" in a couple of weeks. Good job NEVER rinsing the ceramic, it is where a good portion of your bacteria live. The sponges are for polishing and removing bits of detritus, etc...Do a water test and see the results 48 hours after you do the media changes. If it stays good (0 amm and o nitrites). I usually only do regular water changes to lower nitrates, as my levels are steady. Good luck!

Reavicus

by Reavicus

Thanks, I don't rinse in sink. I rinse in the water that I remove during water changes.

So I don't need to bother with the charcoal?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I am on the fence with the charcoal thing. I should probably change it more, but since tank is growing well I just do it when I open the canister filter. I have a sponge over the canister intake so I rarely need to clean the canister. Probably every 2-3 months or so.

I never replace the sponges. I just clean them really well in the sink. Yes, the sink. There are so many other places for bacteria to colonise that I don't care if I wipe them out in any one sponge. I find that just squeezing the sponges isn't good enough to clean them. I need to fill them with water and smack them hard against the side of the sink. This seems to dislodge much more crud.

I think that the sponges are great places for bacteria to colonise. Lots of surface areas within the sponge.

I've read that charcoal can both remove good nutrients as well as toxic substances, so ????

Some real serious plant people like those die hard co2 ONLY! freaks on www.plantgeek.com may have some more educated information on charcoal.

I'm called Garman on that forum, and though I've done great without co2 for most of my planted tanks lives these people won't stop trying to get you to go with a co2 set up.

I have to post the new pics of my planted tanks. The ones on here don't even have my nice one there yet. The post in "planted tanks" under topic about my better pics shows the tank as it was about a month ago. I have been running my DIY co2 since and my hair grass is starting to fill out the front.

For all the rest of the plants they are mostly low to lower light plants (exept the baby tears glob in light green)

I should be installing my camera's software into my PC tomorrow, so then I'll be able to get new pics posted on my page.

Reavicus

by Reavicus

So I am doing ok then. every 2-3 months rinse out the sponges in the canister filter, and replace as necessary. Empty the whole filter, but do not clean the ceramivs, just the trays and motor, once a year.

Same thing with the HOB powerheads? I actually don't usually rinse those sponges. When the look dirty, I trash and change them over.

How often do you guys take the lines apart (the water lines to/from the filter) and clean/replace them?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

I don't mess with the lines unless I have to repair them. I don't want to mess with the seal. My current XP4 has been running for over 6 years (2 different tanks).

Reavicus

by Reavicus

I have had the same filter running since 07. But I was getting a lot of debris after cleaning out the filter. Had a lot of debris in the lines themselves. Didn;t know the best way to clean, so I replaced them.

BANGME338722

by BANGME338722

hi ppl, i clean the filter media out every 4 months never change the water in the filter, replace the carbon ever 1/2 months, also use polywool either inbetween the baskets and also on top of the sponges this also help to polish the water in the same way the carbon does,as to the tubesor lines i clean those every 4/5 months jsut a very good rinse will wash out alot of the bebris that is in there and all shouldbe fine
442d3-100_1958.jpg

findingjohn

by findingjohn

I would change the carbon out every month or so. This helps keep the water clean. here is a picture of one of my planted aquariums.
c17dc-IMG_2475_1.JPG

Replacing filter media.

9 posts