ICK wont go away help!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tinadno

ICK wont go away help!

by tinadno

Hi I'm having an ICK outbreak and can't seem to get rid of it. I brought home new fish and didn't notice they had ICK and they basically killed most of my other fish and including themselves. I tried quarenting them in a separate tank with ICK treatments and they all died. Now a loach has it and its spreading to all my other fish. I've already treated the water and added salt (yes im aware that loaches are scaleless fish and are sensitive to medications and etc..)and have an air pump going for oxygen and removed the carbon from my filter....its not going away what the heck am i doing wrong?

Bassdr1710057

by Bassdr1710057

My loaches had ich when i brought them home as well. I have never used any kind of medication for any of my fishes. What I have found to work is adding aquarium salt and increasing the temp. I raised my water temp to 83-84 degrees and in about a week you could start seeing the ick go away. You will have to continue treating for about an extra week after you see the last signs of ick.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

agreed.. raise the temp.

cmarti

by cmarti

Also do 10 - 20% water changes daily. Consentrate on the bottom of the tank more when you do the water changes. At one point in their lifespan the ick are at the bottom of the tank or free swimming. Pullling the water out pulls out some of the ick with it. Just remember this pulls out the salt along with it. So treat the new water with salt before you put it in. Meaning if you have a 5 gal bucket treat the recommended dose for 5 gallons.

I also wouldn't worry about quarantining now, treat the main tank.

It'll take a couple of weeks of treating before ick goes away.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

and saltwater dip all the fish.

tinadno

by tinadno

ok thanks everybody!

josmoloco

by josmoloco

I hate using meds, but Quick cure is sooooo good. I even used it on a tank with my spiny eel once(half dose), along with a temp raise and salt

ICK wont go away help!

7 posts