Brown spots on glass and on plastic plants.

39 posts • Page 3 of 4

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

You know, this site can be great for questions, but the last few weeks has been nothing but the "pros" bitching and whining about answering stupid questions, as if the were never new to the hobby or asked a dumb question. Everyone has to start somewhere for fucks sake. Get off your high horse you faggots!!!!!!

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

You know, this site could be great for any questions, but the past few weeks all the "pros" have been bitching and whining about answering stupid questions. As if they were never new to the hobby or had a beginners question. Everyone has to start somewhere for fucks sake. Get off your horse you faggots!!!!!!!

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

yeah brown algae bloom (i/e deathmuck) is normal in a new tank. It happens everytime you set up a new one. The best thing to do is let it run its course and then clean it when it dies off. Im glad you didnt bleach your tank i was just joking not tying to be a dick. Its such a newbie question it seems like a troll

65gallon

by 65gallon

It may be a newbie question but I have set up nearly a dozen tanks before and have never, ever come across this problem. The water is so cloudy and murky that you can barely see through to the back of the tank. I have cleaned it and done the water changes regularly since it's been set up. I guess I'll just keep at it. But ThisFish88, as for not trying to be a dick, what if I WAS a newbie and didn't know the first thing about setting up a tank and I had actually listened to your advice? Newbies use this forum too. Just a word of caution before you joke around again the next time because the next person might take you seriously. Thanks for the sound advice now though. That's what I came on here for. And StingRaysRule, if you think you are so far above my "common question", THEN DON'T REPLY!! I didn't ask you specifically for your advice.

Okiimiru

by Okiimiru

Do you own test kits for your aquarium? Please measure the amount of the following:

Ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.

The ammonia should be at 0 ppm, the nitrite should be at 0 ppm or very low, and the nitrate should be less than 30 parts per million. The test kits that you buy will have ranges listed on them, so even if they measure in milligrams per liter instead of parts per million, you'll still be able to tell whether or not your levels are in the safe zone for the fish.

Here is a logic pathway:
IF the ammonia is above 0 ppm, your fishtank is not "cycled" (the nitrosomonas bacteria population is not high enough to eat all of the ammonia, and there is still some floating around in the water). Read this article: http://www.fishkeeping.co.uk/articles_5 ... rticle.htm

IF the ammonia is 0 ppm, nitrite is around 0, and nitrate is very high (above 30 ppm), your tank is cycled and you might want to consider either
1. Doing more frequent water changes to reduce the concentration of nitrates
2. Adding a live plant to the aquarium that will use the nitrates as food when it makes new leaves and roots. The plant will act as a nitrogen sink, a one-way path for the nitrogen to go down. The nitrate will be bound and used as part of the plant, and will leave the water column, making the concentration of nitrate in the water decrease.

The brown life in your tank is feeding off of the nitrates. Algae and stuff like that (lichens, mosses) are poor competitors for nitrogen when compared to plants. If you add a live plant, the live plant will win in the tug of war for who gets the limited concentration of nitrogen in the water, and the algae will starve to death.
When the growth rate of algae in the aquarium is high, you can be pretty sure there's a lot of free nitrogen floating in the water in the form of ammonia, nitrite, or nitrate. If you add a plant and do more frequent water changes, you won't have that problem any more.

Oh, and by the way, add a dechlorinator to tap water before you use it for water changes. The free chlorine dissolved in tap water will naturally remove itself from water if you give it a day or two to sit or if you aerate it with a bubble stone for a couple hours. But if you just add the tap water to the aquarium right away, without either waiting for the chlorine to remove itself or using dechlorinating drops to remove it immediately, the chlorine diatom from the tap water combines with the nitrogen compounds in your water to create chloramine, a compound that is soluble in the water and does not exit to the air. The chloramine stays in the water of the fishtank and acts as an irritant to both your fish's gills and to the beneficial bacteria population. Because chloramine kills bacteria, it can uncycle your tank. So always dechlorinate before adding water to the tank in partial water changes.

*nods*
I try to be helpful. I promise not to be mean like other people. If you have any questions, you can e-mail me at websurfer89@hotmail.com and I will help you.

stingraysrule

by stingraysrule

65 gallon ......... you have set up more than a dozen tanks and you don't know what brown spots are on your plastic plants?
a dozen tanks in a lot of experience. And you have never had a brown spot on your tank?
I find this very hard to believe.
3351d-IMG_5038.jpg

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

As for the brown spots, think about adding a few shrimp or snails, the will help keep it down on the plants and decor. If your water is that murky, I would do 20% changes every day or two, not weekly. Anyway, hope it starts to clear up soon.

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

If you had taken my advice and bleached your fish, I would said good because atleast they would have had a quick death and that you have no buisness keeping fish. Oh and you would have to be the dumbest asshole on the planet. Who would keep an aquarium if they could all emit deadly toxic gasses lol.

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

If you had taken my advice and bleached your fish, I would said good because atleast they would have had a quick death and that you have no buisness keeping fish. Oh and you would have to be the dumbest asshole on the planet. Who would keep an aquarium if they could all emit deadly toxic gasses lol.

ThisFish884484

by ThisFish884484

Visit WWW.GUITARFISH.ORG and click algae in the planted aquarium. Its a wonderful sight, which I easily found on google when i was new to aquariums. I have been visiting it time to time ever since. There is a very comprehensive algae section which covers just about every algae you will ever come across also it talks about getting rid of each one and what causes "algae blooms". Such as Greenspot algae is attributed from a lack of phosphates, an by dosing phosphates it is easily erraticated, or how you can treat Black Beard Algae with H202.

Brown spots on glass and on plastic plants.

39 posts • Page 3 of 4