Cycle Question

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

HeidiG

Cycle Question

by HeidiG

It has now been 7 weeks since we started our new tank. I continue to test every 3 days along with 40 - 50% water changes. The tests continue with the same results - ammonia 2 to 4, nitrate 0, nitrite 0, water hard, ph 6.7, all other levels have acceptable results.

During water changes I alternate rinsing the filter pads, add stress coat conditioner & freshwater salt, vaccum the bottom, wipe the inside of the tank glass. We are lightly feeding once a day in the evenings. All 8 fish are doing well.

The tank still has not cycled. Is this a normal cycle length? Should I continue or change any of my routines? Thanks for your help!

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

You shouldn't be rinsing the filters and wiping anything during a cycle. You also don't need to do water changes. You should let the nitrosoma bacteria accumulate and begin feeding on the ammonia. Since your Nitrite is 0, it has not started yet (don't test for nitrates until nitrite is 0). Also, are you using strips or chemical tests? Strips are less accurate. Leave it alone and dose ammonia every few days. Yaskercoach has a lot of cycling info, so PM him as well.

HeidiG

by HeidiG

I'm using the chemical tests. I was under the impression that the water changes were needed due the the high ammonia and the harm it could have on the fish. Before the frequent changes we lost several fish. I will quit rinsing and wiping, but how high should I let the ammonia get before changing water out?

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I agree that you shouldn't be rinsing the filters during the cycle, but strongly disagree that you shouldn't be doing water changes. Perhaps GD didn't realize you are doing a FISH IN cycle. Water changes are critical while doing a fish in cycle. Without a bacteria colony, it is the only way to remove the ammonia that is building up in your tank.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Use Prime to lock the ammonia (I didn't know you were doing a cycle with fish). It will still show on the test, but it will be a less harmful compound.

HeidiG

by HeidiG

What is Prime and what do you mean by lock the ammonia?

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Prime is a water conditioner that removes chlorine and locks ammonia. You can get it at your LFS. http://www.aquariumguys.com/prime.html

HeidiG

by HeidiG

Is Prime different than the API Stress Coat fish & tap water conditioner? It states that it removes chlorine, chloramines & ammonia in tap water. It is used with water replacement.

HeidiG

by HeidiG

I also have ammonia neutralizer by aqueon. I quit using it about 5 weeks ago to minimize the use of chemicals.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Personally, i would be very cautious in using ANY chemical other than a water conditioner/dechlorinator. From what i've learned, there are usually problems associated w/ products that claim to remove ammonia from the water (for example, it binds the ammonia temporarily, only to release it back into your tank at a later date). I don't think there's any magical way to speed up the cycling process (unless you can find some established filter media!)and the more chemicals you put in your tank, the higher the potential for disaster.

Cycle Question

11 posts • Page 1 of 2