Glow Light Tetras hiding?

4 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

scaldingcoffee

by scaldingcoffee

Hello everyone, I'm new here but was wondering if anyone could help me figure something out.

Is it normal for glow light tetras to hide most of the time? I have six in my tank with two cherry barbs and a flying fox. The tank has lots of live plants along the back and sides and has been set up and running for over a year; the fish have been in almost just as long. They are all healthy and well fed, but they hide in the back corner in the plants all day. Only time they come out is when I feed them. The cherry barbs and flying fox swim freely in front constantly though.

Just wondering if that's normal for them? I've just noticed them doing it a few months back, but never really thought much of it since they were never really that active anyways.

Thanks for any advice. :]

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

First of all, welcome. Second of all, it is quite possible it is the flying fox. While peaceful (in general), the get a tad aggressive when by themselves and glow light tetras are very peaceful. They will shoal and swim freely if the feel comfortable. Try to isolate the fox for about 2-3 days and see.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Tetras feel more comfortable in larger numbers also.

scaldingcoffee

by scaldingcoffee

Thanks both of you for the advice.
I figured six would be good, but I think I may get a few more to make them happier.
Oh, I didn't know that about flying foxes, since I've never seen them really go after the other fish. He mostly just sticks to himself. Today I did notice one of the cherry barbs rushing everyone away after I fed them though. I'll try separating him and the fox and see what happens.
Thanks again. :]

4 posts