Bacteria

15 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Reavicus

Bacteria

by Reavicus

I know not to listen to the LFS, but my daughter and I were there the other day and the asked us if we add live bacteria. Claimed it must be frozen, not off the shelf. I had never heard of it frozen before.

I add the Microbe-Lift TheraP.

Do you guys add bacteria to the tank, and if so what is the best?
Freshwater, planted tank.

Other than the TheraP, Prime is the only other item I add, other than food and water.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

There should be no need to add bacteria (live or otherwise) once your tank is cycled. Perform water tests to see how your bacteria colony is doing (chemical tests are more accurate than strips). FYI, most LFS employees earn commissions on items like that, it is called an "upsell". Most of us use only water conditioners (prime) and medications (as needed). How are your levels? Do you test them? You can post test results to get advice. Good luck!

Reavicus

by Reavicus

I still test with the strips, have not made the change over yet. But my levels are all good. I had a small problem with nitrates when I moved, but it turns out my tap water had higher levels than my old house. Adjusted the amount of Prime used, and the problem was solved.

I am not having any trouble now, but I recently restarted the tank, and just want to check up on my habits and such, make sure I do not have bad habits, etc. Most of what I replace in my filters is really guess work.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yep. You shouldn't need to buy bacteria. As GD said, it's a way for lfs's to make more $$$$.

Don't quit understand what you mean by a nitrate problem. Water changes are the meathod by which to lower it to a safe level, and I do WC's in response to what my levels are.

Remember: nitrate is the last product produced by ineraction with bacteria. Ammonia and nitrite should allways read ZERO.

Reavicus

by Reavicus

By nitrate problem I meant my nitrates could not go below 20, and I kept changing 40%-50% of water a week for over a month. It turned out that the water actually comes out of the tap in my area a little high. So I have to use a slight more amount of Prime when I prep the water.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

FYI, Prime doesn't remove nitrates...only water changes do. If you find that your Nitrate level is high in your local water, then I would invest in a dentrification chamber to go with your filter. About $100 bucks or more depending on the size of your tank, could go to $200, but worth it if you have high Nitrates. I would invest in a chemical test first to get a more accurate reading though (about$30 or $40 bux). If you need the chamber, www.aquaripure.com

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I agree. I also think a liquid test kit with test tubes is a smart move.

I just ran out of nitrate test solutions and bought just the nitrate liquid test kit for $10.

It has 2 dropper bottles and a couple test tubes. 10 drops of each (bottles need to be shaked per directions)

Reavicus

by Reavicus

So I made the change, went out today and bought the liquid test kit. Nitrates come out of the tap at almost a 5.

I thought Prime 'detoxifies' the nitrates though?

Reavicus

by Reavicus

Sorry, guess Ishould have posted the rest . . .
PH 6.6
Nitrite 0
Amm almost .25

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

Prime temporarily binds chemicals, not permanently....Since you have no bacteria that eats the Nitrates, then it will (eventually) un-bind and you will see a spike. Like I said, invest in a dentrification chamber, (or you can look up how to make your own). Another option is to put filered water in when you do a WC, but eventually the cost will be more than the chamber. FYI...You should have 0 ammonia. .25 is very high in a cycled tank, so I would check the tap water for that as well (unless what you posted was the tap water results).

Bacteria

15 posts • Page 1 of 2