STARTING AGIAN?

13 posts • Page 2 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well the odds of how the fish or living inhabitants in the seas/oceans/lakes/streams/rivers all began, without a "cycle" is often amazing too. I mean, how did the first fish survive in the waters...so the chances of that and your experience mro2you2 are about the same.

Nature itself is a rather complex organism, maybe there was just a bit of "luck" (like you say) that gave enough leeway for the tank to not have to cycle.

You know, we fishkeepers get a lot of information from books, online or from experts, but do they really know as much as we think they do. Look in my case, all natural sunlight, algae kept and no gravel vacuum, yet the ammonia is 0 and nitrates hover between 15-25 and nitrites are 0...experts would frown upon this. Yet it all works.

One will find that our tanks truly work on an individual basis. Each tank is a complex ecosystem in its own right. Never two are the same. Yours shows that a tank can work out fine without cycling...experts would be beside themselves.

I agree with Peter, a very low bio-load equals very low nitrates...you will also find the phosphates low too...and though plants do absorb nitrates as a nutrient, if the fish poop overwhelm the plants' intake, then the only thing left is more fish poop in the water or in the tank that can only be taken up in the filtration instakes or eaten by snails etc as debris (if you have snails)....

See there is a balance in our tanks. Either we get in tune with it or we leave it to chance - and sometimes chance may work out, like in mro2you2's case - but most often than not, chance is a crapshoot or who knows what will happen, so it's best to go the experience-as-you-go route. Getting in tune (isn't that a Who tune lol) with your aquarium is the best route to take.

I have narrowed this hobby down to two words: routine & observation. Routine maintenance and observing the tank to prevent any future problem (and of course to enjoy the wonders of the fish etc).

So that's my take on this situation.

Happy fishing!

mro2you2

by mro2you2

and when I bought the first fishes I bought ALL the fish I planned.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I understand this, nature worked its best for you in an interestingly extroardinary way

STARTING AGIAN?

13 posts • Page 2 of 2