Stocking 30gal?

2 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

tokyo

Stocking 30gal?

by tokyo

So I am almost done cycling my first tank, a 30 usgal. I am planning on making it a Malawi Mbuna tank and am trying to decide what to stock it with. I am thinking of starting with electric yellows(Labidochromis Caeruleus) because they are an easy fish and are easy to get along with(also my girlfriend likes these especially). I was also thinking of getting 1 or 2 Rustys(Iodotropheus Sprengerae). Not sure what else I would add to this set up, would like some blue in the mix. I am going to stock only juveniles and will be starting with 2 and adding the rest 1 at a time once a week.

I really like demasoni(pseudotropheus demasoni), they are my favorite medium to small sized cichlid. Is there anyway I could incorporate one of these into this tank, or even do a species tank? I know they are extremely aggressive and have been known to kill there own kind and would be especially difficult in such a small tank, but I can't get them out of my head. I probably won't end up adding any because it just doesn't seem like a good idea. But does anyone have any suggestions on how I could incorporate one or more into this size tank?

Also, any suggestions on what to add to my original lineup(the yellows and rustys)? I'm thinking something blue or with dark stripes.

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

You listed the gallons, but not the footprint (Length and width), but 30 gallons is prettys small for Mbuna. I would look at a Tanganika Shellie setup for a tank that small. You other option is a pair of Convicts or Firemouth. Check cichlidforum.com for some stocking.

Stocking 30gal?

2 posts