Just added copper sulfate to my brush algae problem.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I decided not to remove the fish during treatment. I hope that wasn't the wrong decision. This stuff is supposed to get rid of parasites, not algae according to the label, but I've been told it's the only thing that will totally get rid of brush algae. I need to monitor the ammonia and nitrites as it can also kill beneficial bacteria. I posted about this treatment before and no one seemed to have any experience with it. All I have read says that higher than indicated dosages will kill fish and water changes is the only way to remove it from the water column. I'll post my progress.

freshwaterpleco

by freshwaterpleco

I have a bad feeling it was the wrong decision

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I would really appreciate it if you would EXPLAIN your statements. Smart people don't just pull answers out of thin air. Smart people do research and then come up with explanations. If you want people to respect you, then use your computer and look up a half dozen or so websites where answers may be found, and use the most relevant material to support your statements. I have done a lot of research on this treatment and I am using it as directed. My snails will die because copper sulfate kills invertebrates. As long as I use the copper as directed why would this be a bad idea? Use your brain buddy. It's not that hard when you can get stuff off the Internet. Thankfully we don't have to go to libraries and find recently written material to access information anymore.

Snowboss4492

by Snowboss4492

lol he probably has never heard of the duey decimal system, I have never used copper as I plan on having inverts down the road, you have already stated that you snails will possably die, so you have definately done your research and are aware of the affects - - i was looking for an specific article on copper i had and can't find it sorry, but it sounds like your doing very well with it , slow doses, monitor as closely as you can and dilution is the solution for dropping the copper levals down the road . . . .hell im not telling you anything you don't already know, lol

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yea, it's a one dose thing,and I barely had any snails anyway. I was only beginning to have a small population. I haven't heard the term "Dewy" in front of decimal system since high school. I had to take a college algebra competency exam recently because I scored a 'D' way back when I took the course. I've already taken micro and physics basic courses, but relearning that algebra was tough! Now I remember why I hated basic college and couldn't wait to get out.

Serial324556

by Serial324556

Isn't Duey Decimal Donald Duck's Cousin?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

No. It's the system Duey from the Malcom in the Middle TV show created. It's an easier form of the calculator than the abacus.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Day 2 report: No ammonia, no nitrites, pH 6.6, all fish appear healthy. No observable death of brush algae at this point. If nothing happens after 1 week I will remove all fish to an alternate aquarium and quadruple the dosage of copper. I plan to treat this tank till there is no more brush algae, then I will do 95% water changes twice to bring down the copper levels, check the water chemistry and restock the fish. I will continue to do 30% water changes to for a while before attempting to introduce snails or other invertebrates.

snowboss

by snowboss

I am very sure you have done your homework ....but on an off chance there is and you havn't thought of it - -is there a species of fresh water something that will eat this algae your having trouble with? I.E. Bubble algae is an extremly tough nasty algae in salt systems and if you don't wan't to use risky chems you can get an Emerald crab [one of only very few creatures that will eat bubble algae specificly] just wondering...I like to hear how peole attack different issues in there systems, Boss

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Siamese algae eaters and another similar fish will eat it and I can't have them because my gars will eat them. I'm getting plagued with doubts about using this stuff because of it's toxicity to fish and the biological filter bed. So far even the few snails I have are still alive and copper sulfate is supposed to kill snails. Since I cleaned most of the algae a couple weeks ago there is only a little brush algae left and I can't see it spreading. I'm going to wait a week or so and decide what to do after that. Maybe a UV sterilizer would be helpful in killing spores, and by keeping the pH from getting too low I'll keep ahead of it. I think I'll take some of this algae that's on some rocks and see if I can kill it in a small controlled environment. We'll see.

14 posts • Page 1 of 2