WATER FLYING AWAY!!!

7 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Y4ND3L

WATER FLYING AWAY!!!

by Y4ND3L

lol Not really but .....Well I've noticed that in my aquarium and some friends that they all have freshwater tank and I kno since there tropical it requires water thats pretty warm in the 70's what can you do to try to limit that without addind water every now and then?

NOTICE: Im only asking for those who clearly have some sense, knowledge, smart educational opinions and actually solve the question if you think you can do that thank you!!!! If you can't then don't respond and talk shit somewhere else because I kno you dn't want me talking down about you!

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

76-78 is the optimal temperatures...I tend to go for 78 constant if I can, but sometimes the temp may fluctuate by 4 degrees up or down, which is okay for the fish I have.

Though fish do not care for too much extreme, like say, 72 degrees to 80 degrees in 5 minutes, this can and will stress fish, a couple degrees or so is okay.

Now for your question, there ar coolers that are sold that will cool the water. Then of course the heaters warm it up. What you need to do is find the optimal temperature for the fish, that is, average out the temperature all the fish need, then you'll have a pretty good idea where to keep the temperature.

One other thing, please do not experiment with the fish. Just find the best optimal temperature and stick with it the best way you can.

Hope this helps

mro2you2

by mro2you2

yasherkoach- Coolers are should only be used for salts sence there such a big investment. I know a fresh hobbiest ( idn about y4nd3l) wouldnt be stupid enough to go and pay around $300 the cheapest for a chiller. I agree with yasher though about the temp being around 76-78 but for cichlids some hobbiest and me have found its better to the water be cooler because it slows cichlids Metabolism to where they arnt aggressive as much.

Y4ND3L- If your trying to say I have no experince then fine idc really. I know that keeping a reef is much harder then a fresh. I havent had any problem besides dealing with manjanos( do you even know what that is???)

GiantDogg

by GiantDogg

You can try to limit evaporation bu having as good a seal as possible on the top. Most people have a lot of gaps in their lids and that is why the water "flys away"

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I'd love to have a chiller for my fresh water planted tanks. The lights are a reall pain to cool with house fans. I use a variety of high quality lights I get out of fish stores dumpsters and I use them without a hood, which I could build I guess. A good hood with quality fans would cool the tanks better than having house fans blowing on the tank.

My warmest tank is around 78F and I'm topping off every 2-3 days.

I was considering making a chiller out of a mini refrigerator. I would buy a quantity of metal tubing, (aluminum or copper) and coil it up inside the fridge and use it with a small pump system.

I guess you can reduce evaporation with a beter seal as GD says, but you can't stop it completely. There are devices that will auto-top off your tanks too, but I don't know how they are hooked up.

bennyphan

by bennyphan

Agreed! There is no way you can stop it totally. It just happens, but you can block most of the evaporation. Usually the standard lids that comes with tank will do that for you.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

well if a chiller won't cut it, depending on the location of the aquarium, if it is in a small room, and the human occupants don't mind, you can keep an air conditioner on to cool down the tank.

You may also try opening up the hood more often.

Also one other great way you may try, on the cheap, purchase a water pump, dependent on the type of fish you have, and this will help with teh heat exchange at the water surface.

A chiller can be used, though mro2you2 is correct, it is usually used in a reef or marine tank, it can be used in a freshwater tank, but yes, even a very small unit will cost a good $300.

Peter's suggestion is best though, in the long run, you may want to purchase a hood with as many fans you can or high powered fans.

I hope the above suggestions help. We're always here to help, so let us know how things are progressing.

WATER FLYING AWAY!!!

7 posts