white cobweb like substance in filter

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

kimb

by kimb

about every 2-4 days i have to unclog my filter because there is a cobweb like substance clogging it. i have had the tank up and running now for 6months. the problem started about 1month ago. there is also a white film that i have to wipe at the same time. the white film is all over the hood and some times the glass. if some one could please help that would be great. thankyou.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Sounds like some kind of fungus. Weird........

Give us some more info on your tank.

How heavily is it stocked with fish?
How much current is moving through your tank?
Are there live plants?
What kind of filter do you have, and how big is your tank?

kimb

by kimb

it has 2 run of the mill gold fish, i am not sure on the current, no live plants, the filter is an aqua tech for a 10gal tank. 10 gallon tank is what i have.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I think you have some kind of fungus problem.

If you were to remove the fish to a container and totally clean out the tank, the hood, and the filter, unless you change the environment I think it will probably grow back.

Maybe if you reduced the food you feed the fish (fish will way over eat if given the food) and did more frequent water changes the problem will go away.

Make sure the bacteria are kept alive in the filter as this is what processes the waste into less toxic products (nitrates) by changing only one of the two pads at a time, or if there is only one pad, try to rinse it out in water change water that has no chlorine or chloramines and reuse it.

fungus has to live off something, so reducing the food, and thus the poop, should help.

Good luck. PK

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Don't forget to use dechlorinator when adding new water to the tank.

Try the above for a week or so and let us know if it worked.

Good luck. PK

kimb

by kimb

thank you i will try this and let you know in a week.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

could it be bactiria growth?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

like a water Mold?

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I guess it could be bacteria, but whether it's bacteria or fungus it has to live off some sort of food, so cutting out it's food supply seems the smartest thing to me.

There are fungal spores in the air, so a good cleaning would only knock it back for a while I think.

There needs to be a long term fix, and that is a change in amount of food put into the tank daily, I think.

stormer0719

by stormer0719

Only goldfish i have experience with were or are being slowly tourtured to death unfortunatly.

How long have you had the tank? I originaly pictured from your desription some freaky looking webbing going all about inside a cani filter. But it sounds to me like its regular fishy goo cloggins. can you take a picture? I have seen underwater spiders in a pond before that was really crazy. :)

11 posts • Page 1 of 2