Sturgens? Anyone ever had one?

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I was considdering getting 1 or 2 baby sturgens to live with my gars. They are one of the most ancient fish there is, just like my gars, suggesting that they've evolved into a body type that continues to be succesful since there were dinosaurs.

Anyway, I probably shouldn't get them untill my financial situation improves, but they're really really cool fish.

Anyone have any good info on these fish?

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I said qote " why dont you get a sturgen" and you said " my tank is all ready over crowed" do you think even a 500 could hold 3 gars and 2 sturgens. Please wait till you can get a bigger.
Last edited by mro2you2 on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

I'm curious: How big are the type you would keep in your aquarium? I've seen 14 foot beluga sturgeon at the tennessee aquarium. Very impressive fish.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Well, the tank really isn't over crowded even with the (I just measured) 15 inch gar, 2 smaller ones, and a tilapia pair to eat up snails and prune the java moss.

I actually don't know how big these sturgons get. The lfs I saw them at didn't know what kind they were or how big they get.

I deffinately don't want something that gets more than 10 inches, and in retrospect, considdering that they probably do get bigger, I'm not going to get any.
Last edited by Peterkarig3210 on Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Oh .......Mro2you2,......I guess I remember you suggesting I get a sturgen a ways back.

I do actually want to keep the bio-load down as much as possible in this tank. Right now the tank gets about a table spoons worth of freeze dried krill shrimp a day, and this kind of food has a very low density, (mostly air)

The gars swim around exploring and stuff but mostly stay in one place liike a log, so they don't really need that much food. Goldfish are an occasional treat.

It was just a fleeting fantacy as these 2 5 inchers were so cute.

Thanks you 2 for the input. PK

mro2you2

by mro2you2

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Yep. Aint that a cute little bugger though? Twas just a fantacy!

Good info. Thanks.

I'll wait till I build my house where I have a pond connected to the house via a big thick window. Then I can also get alligator gars too......maybe.

I still love the fish I have right now. They're my favorite anyway.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

WOW, a tank conneted to a pond. :D I can see your local cats walking around with missing arms and legs. :D

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

I mean having your house say on a slope where there is a pond above the house. The living room would be on the side of the house where it's under ground. There would be a huge public aquarium style window from the living room so you could look into the pond. It could even be a pond made by putting up a dam in a stream so there is constant water flow, but a deep place for huge fish, like alligator gars. You'd just have a big window so you could see the fish in a more natural setting.

I think a few chickens every few days could be thrown in when you have company too for a bit of a thrill.

Then you could sit back and enjoy huge fish enjoying a large enough body of water to live comfortably in from the comfort of your couch.

I don't think my cats like water, though I'd have to watch out for the unfortunate dog that might want to go swimming.

Aligator gars get over 10 feet long sometimes.

10 posts