plants dont seem to be growing

22 posts • Page 1 of 3

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

I have two amozon swords but there only a inch big. I really wany them to grow asap because my tank looks like crap. Ill try to upload all my plants soon. Oh the amozons dont have any brown spot on them incase you thought they were dead.

HEY YALL!!!!

stormer0719

by stormer0719

should get one of those freshwater master test kit things and check your CO2, or buy a plant boosting chemical from the store :)

does the tank have fish? or just plants.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Root tabs might help.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

It has just 2 yo yo loaches and a gourami. I want to turn it into a dwarf puffer tank. :) cute lil devils

mro2you2

by mro2you2

in my avater you see the swords but when I changed the gravel the tank was muddy for 2 weeks. the leaves you see now are gone but there are new leaves growing.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

natalie my goal is to get a aquirium like yours. Just maybe less dence.

P.S use a ph buffer instead of peat.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Amazon sword needs a bit more light than most lower light varieties.

I've been growing them in regular aquarium gravel with an under gravel filter.

When I do water changes I stir up all the gravel except for right around the roots of the plant. Then I siphon out most of the nasty dirty water, refill with conditioner, and the water clears in a couple hours.

I don't use co2 or ferts in this tank and the sword is about 18 inches high.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

There are plants that are easier to grow than amazon swords. I'd recommend cryptocoryns--they come in several different shapes, colors and sizes. I've grown cryptocoryn wendtii successfully without CO2, ferts, and with poor lighting. Java moss is another one you might like to try.

http://www.azgardens.com/c-51-cryptocor ... lants.aspx

btw, PK has an unusual green thumb when it comes to aquatic plants so, don't let his amazon sword success bring you down ;)

mro2you2

by mro2you2

thanks, is it okey to have plant with algea on them. I rub it off some times.

Peterkarig3210

by Peterkarig3210

Those plants Natalie mentioned are great. I have to keep thinning mine out they grow so well.

If the algae can be rubbed off it sounds like cyano-bacteria. Is it kind of sticky and stinky? If so, it's probably Cyano Bacteria. It's a pain to get rid of and nothing eats it. I've gotten it under control with constant water changes, but it takes a while.

I'm gona suggest Anubias too. Super easy to grow. www.plantgeek.com has pics of lots of plants, and the Bartari and Nana I think are the most commonly sold.

Go to "plant guide" and type in anubias for the pics.
I allways suggest Anubias because it's my favorite plant and it grows in any substraight and even on wood and rocks.

22 posts • Page 1 of 3