Angel Fish dead

10 posts

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

Dpil19901

Angel Fish dead

by Dpil19901

So i went to Petco ,ok ok i know horrible place and i usually dont buy from there, place anyhow i was looking at the Angel fish(freshwater) and i couldnt find anything wrong with them and i was planing on adding 2 to my 55 gallon tank with 10 rummy nose tetras and 10 zebra danios so i buy and lady drops one and says better safe not to take this one and places it back in tank so i choose a which might be a different one i arrive home and let the acclimate to water them place in tank i watch for about 15mins and seems fine go watch a movie and have diiner come back and the angle fish that might have been dropped one is dead and the zebras are picking at it.So my question could zebras have killed? or was it more likely sick or the one that drooped? Thx

ammonia 0
ph about 7.8
yah sorry no nitrate or nitrite test

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Thx for the ph readings, The ph killed it because they are soft and that water could of kept cichilids (not your kind :) OR the lady could of kept then at a really LOW ph like 6.1 and when you put it in it stressed out and died.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

Its natrual for fish to pick at dead bodies /:? I dont know why.

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Tell us how you acclimated the angels to your tank. I doubt the zebras would have been able to kill it that quickly, unless it was already injured or ill.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

hi :D
Last edited by mro2you2 on Sat Nov 21, 2009 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dpil19901

by Dpil19901

well first i let bag float on water even tho i know it would better to add a little tank water

natalie265
Site Admin

by natalie265

Yeah. That MIGHT have contributed to its death. As you said, it IS best to slowly add a bit of tank water just in case the pet store ph is different from your ph at home. Still, it wouldn't surprise me if the fish were already sick or injured, because i doubt your water is much different from your LFS. And if it WERE, then wouldn't both fish be dead? Could have been a combinations of things. How IS the other angel doing? Did you take the body back to the store and get a refund?

Dpil19901

by Dpil19901

other angel seems to be very happy but zebras are still nipping at him and yes i got a refund

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

I'd suggest getting a nitrate test. How long has the tank been cycled?
I'm pretty sure petco honors the 14 day guarantee thing like petsmart. Take the fish back along with a sample of your water and have them test it. If it checks out like everyone else says chances are it was just a weak fish.
Also if you ever get expensive fish the best method to acclimate them to your tank's water is the drip method. The easiest way to do this is to place a small clean bucket in front of your tank, dump the fish and the water he came in into the bucket, then place a piece of airline tubing and run it from the top of your tank (couple inches below the surface of the water) into the bucket to create a siphon just as you would when vacuuming the tank. To control the flow wrap a rubber band (twisted several times) around the tubing to cut the drips down to about 1 a second. A little less or more is fine. 1-2 hours should be more than enough time, then the fish should be ready for your tank.
mro2: I'm really not sure why you decided it was a brilliant idea to tell natalie to fuck off for simply trying to help someone else. grow up eh.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

eh you wee lasy mean nothing to me!! you why dont you!!

Angel Fish dead

10 posts