Petsmart or petco?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2

Discuss all topics related to freshwater and planted tanks.

mro2you2

Petsmart or petco?

by mro2you2

If All the fish stores blew up and all was left was petsmart of petco what would you choose?
I prefer my petsmart because their they know me })

Dpil19901

by Dpil19901

i prefer petsmart they have a nicer larger selection of fish than my local petco and the ppl at petsmart seem to be a least a little knowledgeable about fish but a couple years back they made u sign waivers when u bought a fish but i prefer my local petsmart but nonchain stores still top

gumbii

by gumbii

move to los angeles... i still have over 40 lfs within a half hour drive...

mro2you2

by mro2you2

their is a guy that works at a petsmart I go to alot he has one those long eat lobs thing but he knows a lot about fish.

Tmercier834747

by Tmercier834747

You're gonna have mixed experiences depending on where you're at. Some things I go to petco for, some to petsmart, some I used to drive about an hour out to this obscure LFS for. As far as knowledgeable: the mom and pop staffs were it, petco was next in line, and my local and closest petsmart has a pretty fish inept staff.

mro2you2

by mro2you2

luckey, my petco sells oscars to little girls with 10 gallons.

by 1234

i would go to petsmart just like you because every time i would go to petco my pets would die or would get my other fish sick.

TigerTaylor8906

by TigerTaylor8906

Depends on what I need. In my area (southern Louisiana), Petsmart has healthier fish, but next to no plants at all. PetCo has pretty healthy plants and a decent selection. But I really try to avoid these stores whenever I can. I will by my filters and little things there.

Promthanom

by Promthanom

I have a Petsmart and Petco within a few minutes driving distance of me but the nearest LFS is about 30miles :(

I don't get out much and usually shop online. If there is something I find at either Petco or Petsmart sites that I may want then I'll go have a look and may buy it to save on shipping. But a lot of online sites like DrFosters and their liveplant site and AquariumGuys sometimes carry a lot more variety than the big name stores imo.

yasherkoach

by yasherkoach

I know some people will think me nuts but I have recently purchased fish from Walmart, and after a few days in quarantine, the fish are doing very well in the main tank. I bought from Petsmart back in 2008, lost about 75% of the species in 1 week, that's right, 1 week plus killed some of the other inhabitants.

Petco I bought a few frogs and shrimp from, lost none.

So Petco is the winner from my experience...on the other hand, you can always try Walmart (((smiles)))

Petsmart or petco?

11 posts • Page 1 of 2